Branson FEL jerk, Is this normal???

/ Branson FEL jerk, Is this normal??? #1  

tc4020

Tractor
Branson 4020
I'm a new member and new tractor owner... First off thanks all of you guys who participate here, I learned a lot and this site was terrific in helping me decide which tractor to purchase.

I have an 04 Branson 4020 with 44 hours. Bought this used from a dealer who sold it originally. Very nice tractor and I am very impressed with everything about it except the FEL.

When raising or lowering the FEL, particularly when the bucket is above the tractor hood, the thing jerks and jumps and is not smooth at all. The problem isn't as bad when the bucket is closer to the ground. No jerkiness when rolling the bucket.

I read all the posts on the hydraulic issues some guys were having with the implements on the rear of the tractor. That is not a problem for me.

My question is is this jerkiness normal or do I have a problem I need to take the tractor in to the dealer for?

Thanks for any help you experienced Branson owners can give.

TC

/ Branson FEL jerk, Is this normal??? #3  
I'm not a Branson owner, but I can tell you that what you're experiencing is not normal. Assure that you have the proper hydro fluid level, that the filters are new, that no lines are bent/leaking. Often this is a sign of air in the hydro fluid, but I think the system will bleed the air out. Warm you tractor to operating temp before you begin. Raise the loader to mid height and operate it through all functions several times, lower it to the ground and idle a few minutes and see if that improves the situation. If not, get it checked by the dealer. John

/ Branson FEL jerk, Is this normal??? #4  
I'd say it could be air. Not sure how that would get introduced though.

/ Branson FEL jerk, Is this normal??? #5  
could the loader be binding somewhere ? This can cause jerky movement. Are all the pivot points well greased ?
Ben

/ Branson FEL jerk, Is this normal??? #6  
Sounds like it may have air in the system. Hold the control valve all the way to one position, up or down and hold it there for a few seconds. That should help purge the system. Then try it again to see if it is jerky. If it returns almost immediately, without lifting heavy loads, then you have a leak in a return hose or line. And no, you might not have any fluid leaking out.