Branson Noise ?

/ Branson Noise ? #1  

ky4t

Tractor
Branson 3510
My Branson 3510 just arrived. I love the tractor but I am curious about a clanking sound coming from the rear end housing. With the bush hog attached and freewheeling. if I shut the engine off, then release the clutch a loud clanging noise comes from the rear end if the pto is still engaged. Is this normal? This is my first experience with a 2 stage clutch.
Of course, It is a better practice to disengege the pto then shut the engine off, but wanted to ask in case there is a problem that might show up later.
By the way the posts here had a bearing on my decision to go with the Branson. And I looked at EVERYTHING from Allis to Zetor. The Dealer, and this was after the sale, said he sold 170 last year and had 1 warranty claim!

/ Branson Noise ? #2  
If the brush mower is still spinning when you stop it quickly in gear it is probably the mower blades slamming to a stop and swinging into each other.
Disengage the PTO then shut down the motor !!

/ Branson Noise ? #3  
Sounds like you are using the clutch to brake the implement. I'm not sure what is causing the clank, but Vince may have hit it on the head. I've not heard any sound like that from my 3520, but I have never shut the engine off with the PTO engaged. I doubt that it is good procedure under normal circumstances.

If you are normally declutching, disengaging the PTO, and shutting down--in that order--without abnormal noise, I wouldn't worry about it.

SnowRidge

/ Branson Noise ? #4  
I would highly recommend an overrunning clutch on your PTO shaft if you are going to shut down like that!! You could do damage to your pto and the mower! The overrunning clutch would allow spin-down of the mower without putting all of that strain on the PTO system or the mower. You have to remember that brush hog acts like a huge flywheel with lot's of intertia force and you should not try to stop it on a dime unless its and emergency or damage could occur.
Just my two cents worth.
Nick

/ Branson Noise ? #5  
I have heard a similar noise from my 3510. I would describe it
as more of a clicking or ratchetting sound. I think there is an internal mechanism similar to an over-running clutch. Like you said it only happens if you shut it down while the pto is engaged.
Ken.

/ Branson Noise ?
That is a better description of the noise. I think you are right about it being part of an internal overrun clutch type mechanism. If you engage the pto with the tractor off and turn the shaft by hand you hear it as a clicking noise. Glad to hear that they all do it and it is not a developing problem with mine.