Branson Tie-Rod end replacement

/ Branson Tie-Rod end replacement #1  

defranks

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 4220
I just broke the ball-joint on the right side tie rod of my Branson 4220. Unfortunately, the ball joint is welded onto a short piece of threaded pipe, about 5 inches long. I did a quick search of the Branson websites, and it looks like they want almost $300 for the part. Do any of you know of a replacement ball joint that will fit the steering knuckle? I think I can cut the old ball joint off and weld on a new one if I can be sure of the fit.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 134
   / Branson Tie-Rod end replacement #2  
That is the tie rod end. It should not be $300! If so that is crazy. I may even have a old one that will work. Is that the right or left side?

/ Branson Tie-Rod end replacement
Is that the right or left side?
Right side. Yeah, the price seems insane, which is why I was looking to replace the ball joint. It looks like it's a common failure, and Branson now offers and update kit with heavier components, but for nearly $1000.
de KC7TEN

/ Branson Tie-Rod end replacement #4  
I bought an upgrade kit last year that came with new tie rod ends and new knuckle arms for both sides. I think it was around $500.00. The problem I had was they kept sending me left arms and no right arm. Took 3 attempts to finally get it right.

/ Branson Tie-Rod end replacement #5  
Actually after thinking about it I think the tie rod was the same for both sides so I should have one that is not too bad of shape. I will have to look next time I am at my shop.

/ Branson Tie-Rod end replacement #6  
Here is a link for Moog tie rod ends;
Outer Tie Rod Ends by Dimension - Moog Suspension Parts

You will not likely find your exact replacement but one that could easily be welded to your rod section should be obtainable.

edited to add;
if you scroll down a bit on the page you can sort by the size of the taper big and small end then scroll down to decide which would be a good fit.

/ Branson Tie-Rod end replacement
You will not likely find your exact replacement but one that could easily be welded to your rod section should be obtainable.
I did as you suggested and went to the Moog webpage and found a tie-rod end that should work. I'll have to cut off the ball joint from the old tie rod end, thread the rest of the tube, and thread the new tie-rod end into the old tube. Just in case anyone else wants to do fix this problem for $15 instead of $300, the Moog part number is ES3099RL The threads on the shaft are M20-1.8. The taper may not be exactly the same, but it's within couple of thousandths, close enough for government work.
Thanks all for your help!

/ Branson Tie-Rod end replacement #10  
I did as you suggested and went to the Moog webpage and found a tie-rod end that should work. I'll have to cut off the ball joint from the old tie rod end, thread the rest of the tube, and thread the new tie-rod end into the old tube. Just in case anyone else wants to do fix this problem for $15 instead of $300, the Moog part number is ES3099RL The threads on the shaft are M20-1.8. The taper may not be exactly the same, but it's within couple of thousandths, close enough for government work.
Thanks all for your help!
Please update when you receive the part. I went through a similar tie rod break on a 3510. Dealer couldn’t get old style replacement, I ended up doing what K5lwq did, I think I paid closer to $700 for the upgrade kit. I did weld my old broken tie rod back together and used it until the kit came in.
I‘ve since sold my Branson, not knocking the brand, it was just getting too difficult/expensive to find parts on one as old as mine.

Mike