Branson Tractor Reliability

/ Branson Tractor Reliability #1  

Apple Joe

Tractor
Branson 5835R, McCormick X4(50), McCormick F90, McCormick F100, Case, New Holland
I just bought a new Branson 5835R because it really feels good and has done what I thought it would do. Back in September 2021 we made a deal to purchase a 5520CS (Cab Shuttle). I really only wanted a tractor that I could use for moving snow and some basic chores. We are an orchard and own 3 orchard tractors (90, 100 and 90 HP) and another three we use for hauling fruit (all around 60-70 HP) out of the fields via bin trailers or wagons and grass cutting between rows and herbicide management. How I ended up with the 5835r is simple. I called in late September to see where my previously ordered 5520CS was and the dealer decided to keep me happy and give me a loaner (5835R). We used it for three months with a few small issues and then decided to keep it because it has a nice feel and has some true power behind it. I chose to give up on the 5520CS because it kept getting pushed out for delivery to late January 2022 or February 2022. I chose to get the shuttle because I had a 40HP Mahindra Hydro cab and it was woefully underpowered. All of my tractors are gear and the newest orchard tractor is a shuttle type. I really wanted a cab but in the end just went with the ROPS. My small issues with the tractor were a broken clutch pedal spring (I went to ACE hardware to put in a similar but not exact match one and was able to use it as needed). I had to buy the spring from ACE because the spring was not stocked and on back order. The other issue was the shuttle shift not going into forward or reverse because someone hit it with they knee and pushed it from its normal position of about 10 o'clock all the way to 2 o'clock on the steering shaft. I called the shop and told them I wanted to open up the harness and look at it. What I did was reset all of the pins and then re-taped the harness up and put it back to the 10 oclock position. Its working fine since I did this in October. Once I decided to buy it I noticed the DXF warning light was flashing and could not reset it. Ended up being the DXF filter which they replaced. This may sound like a lot of issues but believe me, everything breaks at some time. These were all mine and easily fixed. I really want to know what people have experienced with their Bransons.

/ Branson Tractor Reliability #2  
I have a 2400h and it has been trouble free, great little machine for getting in tight places. Can't beat it for barn work.

/ Branson Tractor Reliability
Thanks for the quick reply and good luck with your purchase.

/ Branson Tractor Reliability #4  
I have not had any issues with my 4815C. Branson makes a really good tractor and you should not have many issues. As you know from your other machines anything can happen. Add in the equation of different operators and that can increase the odds even more.

I believe if you take care of the Branson it will serve you well.

/ Branson Tractor Reliability #5  
Not a single issue with my F36Rn either. Only 350 hours, which is nothing but it just runs like a champ.

A couple weeks ago, I was reading a Portuguese tractor forum and a guy with an older 3520R was also describing how good his tractor has been. Sure, got a bit careless with cleaning the radiator and toasted the head gasket after 4000 hours of use but still managed to find all the parts just as easily as any other brand.

/ Branson Tractor Reliability #6  
I have been very happy with my 3725. The only issue I've had with it was environment related. Sitting out in the winter, the ambient air temperature is frequently -30F or colder here. The exhaust filter could never get hot enough to burn the soot out of it. I don't think Branson planned on our temps when they designed it. Anyway, it would steadily pack up with soot over the course of a winter of snow clearing.

After a couple of winters of this, I finally had enough and removed the filter. It now wears a muffler in the filter's place, and the tractor is quite happy that way. The newer (2021 and newer) tractors have a different emissions arrangement with a manually operated butterfly valve on the outlet pipe. The operator can close this valve by way of pushing a button on the dash and force a "regen" by where the valve closes and the filter then heats up and burns the soot. The new 2021+ tractors also would not be quite as easy to delete, as part of the dash gauge package is wired through the data logger for the filter. There's still no engine "computer", but disconnecting the data logger now disables the tach and the temp gauge. Engine still runs fine apparently.

The new system layout is supposed to be more effective, and I'm sure it is. At least now there is a way to forcibly increase the heat being generated inside the filter. The old system had to rely on just the exiting exhaust gas to heat the grids inside the filter as it flowed through the filter. There was no way to apply any additional heat inside the filter. That was a tall order when you had to start at -40F (ambient air temp at startup) and heat the filter to 800-1200 F.

Anyway, other than that one issue (now resolved), I have not had one single problem with mine. Going on 5 years and only at 300 hours. It now sits inside an unheated steel building, but at least it's covered and out of the snow and sun.

Like any other modern tractor, you do have to keep the radiator and coolers clean when mowing. I have to stop and blow the chaff out of mine at least once a day, depending on what I'm mowing, and how much stuff I'm kicking up in the air. I do wish the exhaust came out in a vertical stack at the hood, instead of the pipe blowing out right next to the front wheel. I think that blows more chaff up into the air. Small complaint, but looks to me like most brands have the same location for the exhaust exit these days, until you get up to utility and ag sizes anyway.

/ Branson Tractor Reliability #7  
Mine is an 8050 which has been a decent tractor, it did loose a water pump last year which didn't please me.
And I'm not pleased that Branson has never released a service manual for this tractor and now has dropped it.

/ Branson Tractor Reliability #8  
I got a fuel leak in the fuel pump not long after my 4820R was received. The dealer repaired it under warranty without any hassle or problems. There was some filings from the manufacturing process on an o-ring. I am very happy with my Branson. I got it last March and have over 100 hours now. I've had a few minor self inflicted issues that I fixed.

/ Branson Tractor Reliability #9  
2004 Century 2535 ( Branson 3510)- with the humpolec loader - 1600+ hours, original battery, Have only replaced the glow plugs, power steering tank, 3 pt hitch piston seals,(my goof), front tires and fuel pump. Will be needing clutch in future due to extensive loader work. A stout, dependable tractor.

Last winter it ran a generator for 167 hours straight after an ice storm and never missed a beat. You could say I like this tractor a lot!! W.Jones

/ Branson Tractor Reliability #10  
As a fairly new Branson owner I was hesitant to chime in. I purchased a brand new 5520R last April. I currently have 176 hours on the tractor. Not enough hours in my opinion to pass the reliability and longevity test. I will say all good and this time with no issues.
This is a gear driven tractor with both the range selector and synchronize transmission silky smooth. Loads of power as well. Have only experienced 2 regens one at 102 hours and 167 hours. I bought the Branson after extensive research. The simplicity of no ecm and no worries of a check engine light or limp mode a definite selling point with my decision.