Breaking In A New Diesel Engine....

/ Breaking In A New Diesel Engine.... #11  
WOT, just dong lug it the 50hrs.

/ Breaking In A New Diesel Engine.... #12  
No matter what I believe, New Holland has provided instructions and that's what you should do to keep your warranty in place.

BREAK-IN PROCEDURES
Your New Holland tractor will provide long and dependable service if given proper care during the first 50-hour break-in period. During the first 50 hours of operation:

1. Avoid "lugging" the engine. Operating in too high a gear under heavy load may cause engine lugging, which is indicated when the engine will not respond to a throttle increase.

2. Use the lower gear ratios when pulling heavy loads and avoid continuous operation at constant engine speeds. You will save fuel and minimize engine wear by selecting the correct gear ratio for a particular operation. Operating the tractor in low gear with a light load and high engine speed wastes fuel.

3. Avoid prolonged operation at either high or low engine speeds without a load on the engine.

4. Check the instruments frequently and keep the radiator and oil reservoirs filled to the recommended levels. Daily checks include the engine oil level, radiator coolant, and air cleaner.

That's it. This is directly from my operator's manual and the warranty states that the tractor must be operated in accordance with instructions. No matter what I think, I'd never recommend anything else. I would read and memorize the major parts of those instructions and "regurgitate" them as closely as possible if I was ever asked by the dealer or service department about my operation. :)

/ Breaking In A New Diesel Engine.... #13  
what does "wot" stand for?
I drive for an agricultural contractor. Policy is to work the tractor hard (see manual) for the run in period, as you are setting the tractor up for life.

/ Breaking In A New Diesel Engine.... #14  
what does "wot" stand for?
I drive for an agricultural contractor. Policy is to work the tractor hard (see manual) for the run in period, as you are setting the tractor up for life.

/ Breaking In A New Diesel Engine.... #15  
G'day WOT is wide open throttle as far as running it in I have always run in as I am going to use it and I dont free rev an engine to govenor nor do I like it to lug for too long there is a difference between lugging and working hard.

Jon

/ Breaking In A New Diesel Engine.... #16  
ive got a friend that always ran his tractors pretty much wide open.ive never seen the sense in running a tractor like that.only run the rpms needed todo a job.

/ Breaking In A New Diesel Engine.... #17  
I think you're better to run them normally, just not for a long period at a fixed rpm. We're not talking about high speeds here on a tractor. My VW TDI revs to 5,000 rpm. No sweat. Don't see any problem in doing do early on, as long as it is brief and not held there. That's what we did on our TDI, and that's what I did on my 4010 and what I'm doing on the 1025.

Ralph

/ Breaking In A New Diesel Engine.... #18  
One breakin problem I've experienced is on our diesel generator. The manual says not to operate it for very long at high load until it gets 50 hours. Heck, it may take us 3 years to get to that # hours. Near a year now, and the hour meter reads 14.6. I've concluded that it's best to just use it normally. A generator, by nature, will see a widely varying load. That should break it in nicely.

This Isuzu seems a little jewel. Can't tell its a diesel by sound. At 14.6 hours, the oil still is crystal clear on the dipstick. Fuel usage over 14.6 hours was 2.5 gallons. It's 12.5 kw. Normal, average, kw usage on the house is about 1 to 2 kw. I figured its fuel usage would be about 0.2 gph from the fuel usage charts. It's been less than that.

Ralph

/ Breaking In A New Diesel Engine.... #19  
Always lots of opinions on break-in no matter the engine. I am neither an engineer or mechanic, so I just go with the manual which has worked well for me so far. I've found I can do pretty much everything I need to do and stay pretty darned close to the manual.

THIS is the correct answer!!