Breaking The Slab

/ Breaking The Slab #11  
So Kyle . . . is this practice for when you go to the prison rock pile?;):laughing: Wow! That is hard labor and why they used to bust up rocks in prison. It looks like you did a great job and I'm sure you'll never see the inside of a prison unless you grow up to be a trial lawyer.:)

/ Breaking The Slab #12  
Sorry, no pics while swinging hammers per the Safety Police. ;)

As long as the camera and camera person were wearing safety glasses, hardhat, and steel toe shoes, it would be within safety police requirements :thumbsup:

/ Breaking The Slab
So Kyle . . . is this practice for when you go to the prison rock pile?;):laughing: Wow! That is hard labor and why they used to bust up rocks in prison. It looks like you did a great job and I'm sure you'll never see the inside of a prison unless you grow up to be a trial lawyer.:)

:laughing:

I was thinking back to the old cartoons while I was breaking it up...:laughing:

/ Breaking The Slab
As long as the camera and camera person were wearing safety glasses, hardhat, and steel toe shoes, it would be within safety police requirements :thumbsup:

I did not wear a hardhat, but I wore the safety glasses, gloves, and steel toe boots. :thumbsup:

/ Breaking The Slab #17  

These are some of my cave man tools, I don't use them much since I have jackhammers for production work.

The big one has no weight stamp but the middle one says 14 and the small one is a regular 8 pounder. The big one has to be at least 20 pounds, I'll have to weigh it some time.

JB

Attachments

• 1025111809a.jpg
    1025111809a.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 1025111813a.jpg
    1025111813a.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 83
   / Breaking The Slab #18  
I know it's too late to give advise now but maybe it will help in the future or for someone else. When you have to break up concrete and the only option available is the good old sledge (or even when using a jack hammer); if at all possible, raise the concrete off the ground at one corner and work at that till you reach the point where it is against the ground then raise some more of it. Having the concrete directly on the ground doesn't allow much give when impacting with the hammer so you have to work harder to bust it up. I know it's not always possible to get the slab off the ground but if you can it will go much easier.

/ Breaking The Slab

These are some of my cave man tools, I don't use them much since I have jackhammers for production work.

The big one has no weight stamp but the middle one says 14 and the small one is a regular 8 pounder. The big one has to be at least 20 pounds, I'll have to weigh it some time.

JB

Those are some big hammers! :thumbsup:

/ Breaking The Slab
I know it's too late to give advise now but maybe it will help in the future or for someone else. When you have to break up concrete and the only option available is the good old sledge (or even when using a jack hammer); if at all possible, raise the concrete off the ground at one corner and work at that till you reach the point where it is against the ground then raise some more of it. Having the concrete directly on the ground doesn't allow much give when impacting with the hammer so you have to work harder to bust it up. I know it's not always possible to get the slab off the ground but if you can it will go much easier.

My grandfather sugessted I jack it up with a car jack, but it was breaking OK and the ground was really soft, so I did not bother.