Breakthrough or snake oil?

/ Breakthrough or snake oil? #21  
"During testing, DFC Diesel observed fuel consumption reductions of 25% or more with factory tuning, an average of 5% increases in torque and horsepower, NOx reductions as high as 80%, and the ability to extend oil change intervals by 50% due to decreased soot and fuel dilution."

Anything with copy like this..... is snake oil.... :)

/ Breakthrough or snake oil? #22  
If the clams were true every manufacture would be beating their doors down to get the technology and be above the competition.

/ Breakthrough or snake oil? #23  
Back in the 60's I could drive a golf ball over 550 yards
on the golf course with no problem. One guy said my
form is wrong as I look like a wood chopper but I was
driving the golf ball more than twice the distance he was.
I had a real bad slice I could drive the ball about 250
yards then it would arc like somebody picked up the ball
and threw it up in the air off to the right and the guy in
charge of the gold course would give me a hand full of
quarters and take my large bucket of golf balls cause he
tore the ass end out of his pants climbing over the fence
to get all the golf balls that I sent over it. I have only played
one game of golf ;9 holes and had a score of 75 and quit.
Never played again and never went to a golf course.
The only thing that will spoil a good golf game is that little
round white thing!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone starting out setting up their solar system and can't affort
the $1400+ batteries the 6 volt 300+ amp hr batties will work just
fine also you can use the deep cycle car/marine batteries just
don't let the voltage go below 23 volts if using a 24 volt system

willy
My dad took me to the golf course a few times. Later one of his buddies told him I knocked the devil out of the ball. He said I nobody knew where it was going, but, it went a long way. I lost interest quickly and would rather have been mowing grass.

/ Breakthrough or snake oil? #24  
However the ceramic material likely has a lower conduction heat transfer coefficient that keeps more heat in the combustion chamber.
I agree with that. If a lining material in the combustion chamber acts as thermal insulation, that should improve thermal efficiency.
It's a question of how much, and what else gets sacrificed to do it. Ceramics have thermal conductivities in the neighborhood of 1 W/(m K). The heat transfer coefficient of a layer of ceramic would be the conductivity divided by the thickness in m, so a 1 mm layer of ceramic would have an h of 1000 W/(m^2 K), or a thermal insurance of 0.001 m^2 K / W. The loss of thermal energy would be inversely proportional to the sum of all the thermal insulances the heat has to travel through. 0.001 isn't much. It's a bit like saying if you wore a thin coat of ceramic, you'd stay warmer in the wintertime, but not by much.
Given that it should help, what would you lose? It might be hard to keep ceramic in place, and having bits come off would create a real abrasive mess. You're adding mass to the piston, without adding much strength. And you have to compare all this with the other options, the other measures that cost money but add efficiency.

Certainly possible, but we can wait to hear some more satisfactory supporting information.

/ Breakthrough or snake oil? #25  
Gear heads have been arguing over tumble vs swirl as long as I can remember

Race guys will spend $$$$ to do anything to get a minuscule improvement in performance like extrude honing intakes for better flow.

I think the OP's link is for guys wanting to Tim Allen their pickup trucks. If the improvements were as good as claimed every car manufacturer would be using this.