Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this?

/ Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this? #31  
I moved one a few years ago using pipe rollers. We winched it on to a tilt bed trailer using two cable pullers.
If you a going to use the lift gate be sure you have it secure so it can't roll off when you start lifting!! :eek:

/ Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this? #32  
thanks for the info. I am going over to look at it tonight. Any advice on moving it? I have rented a truck with a 3500 lb lift gate. I am hoping to roll it onto the lift using 1/2 pipes as rollers. Is there a better way, assuming I don't have a fork lift? Any preparation or disassembly required for transport?

HCJ, post #6 covers transport prep.

/ Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this?
HCJ, post #6 covers transport prep.

THanks, I re-read that advice. How heavy is the head when I flip it over? I was told I can loosen the bolts, then flip it. Can one person hold and guide the head as it rotates? Is there a trick to that?

/ Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this? #35  
If u can get it on the lift gate, I think u sb ok. If u know the model, u might be able to find the weight of it on internet. Be sure and tie it down good. U don't want it moving or falling over.

I used pry bars to walk mine into position.

Be careful as u don't want it to fall over while loading or unloading. I had mine loaded with a fork lift and then I built a A frame to lift it and them pulled the trailer from underneath it.

/ Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this? #36  
Even at $1500 it would last as long as a June frost. Man I would love to have one for my 'future' shop. Would be in hog heaven with BP and 10" lathe.

/ Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this? #37  
I moved mine with a heavy-duty lift gate on a flatbed... a friend had the truck so it worked out ok.

Make sure you have securely tied down... top and near the base.

If I had to move it now, probably would rent one of the "Kneeling Trailers"

The axle kicks out and lowers the deck to road height plus the lip.

Using pipe and pinch bars on concrete works well.

/ Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this? #38  
Some posts makes sense to some readers and perhaps not to others because we do not all have the same reference points.

As they say all we have TOTAL control of is our attitude unless we give others permission to control our attitude.

Social Media like rv.net can get interesting for sure. :)

/ Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this? #39  
yes there is a screw to screw it down there is a pin that pulles out that keeps it at 90 degrees you need to pull it out then screw it down, the head is heavey, i replaced the motor on one of mine one guy could just about handle it ,i would turn the head on its side raize the table and take head off then get 4 guys to lift it, then it also wount be top heavey, one thing to consider also depending on what you are going to do with the machine is the tooling collets, chuck vise endmills are expencive.

/ Bridgeport Mill ??? Should I jump on this? #40  
When I moved mine, I rotated the head so the spindle and head were parallel to the floor. Trying to lower the center of gravity for more stability.