briggs backfire

/ briggs backfire #1  

baxterboy2008

Tractor
snapper Lt23460
Snapper 2008 model LT23460 23 hp v twin briggs engine model 44L777 type 0125B1 serial # 080103yg12330. Use to be long crank time to start. now short crank time but back fires at full and medium throtle. smoothe at idle. tried sea foam no luck. appreciate your help. reach me @ heydonrocky@yahoo.com also.

/ briggs backfire #2  
Back firing sounds like a timing issue.

/ briggs backfire
thanks miotchellb and willl. I think your right on willl. I will check the keyway timing. baxterboy

/ briggs backfire #5  
This is why I will never purchase another Briggs engine. The price is appealing, but they just don't last. Honda, Kawasaki and Kohler just run forever without a problem. Had 1 Briggs that just siezed up after about 100 hours running a pump and another that threw a rod through the block while running a generator for maybe 150 hours. I have a Troybuilt tiller that has an 8 horse Kohler engine that was built in 1973, still runs great starts easy and has plenty of power. I change the oil now and then and throw in a fresh plug.
Hope you can solve your problem.

/ briggs backfire #6  
Possibly running lean......I'd try cranking it and choking slightly to rule out a lean condition......if the backfiring stops then you'll have a direction to check out adjustments or cleaning of the carb jets....

/ briggs backfire #7  
check valve clearances very carefully, they are very sensitive to wrong settings, may also be a valve sticking

/ briggs backfire #8  
Does the engine have a lifter tick while it's running.

/ briggs backfire #9  
Are valves adjusted to like .005" on intake and.007" exhaust? (on the OHV engines)

Usually they are hard to start with valves out of spec but it seems like you might have already done that?

How many hours on the engine?

As woodshed said lean could be the cause too. Good luck and sorry Wdychd for the misspelling.

Carl
Carl