briggs engine

/ briggs engine #1  

Lanse

Bronze Member
Ive been trying to get my mower working today, and it will run just fine on choke, but nothing elce. It also runs WAY faster then normal, and i cant seem to get the combination right on these screws on the carb, the idle and needle screw. What aint i doing???

/ briggs engine #2  
Have you tried pulling off the float bowl or diaphram cover to see if there is dirt or rust in there. I had the same sypmtoms with mine. I found that the gas that I had bought and used had a bunch of rust in it. That clogged up the screen inside the carb. It was starving for fuel. So if I choked it could pull some fuel and run..
You might have fun getting the idle mixtures back in to their correct spots. If you can get them close to where they were before. Then check your tank fuel filter and the float screen in the carb. That might help.

/ briggs engine #3  
I agree with what Treemonkey said and may I add to that. Gas gums and now with the ethanol added it is even worse. Drain the tank and clean out. Use carb cleaner to clean all of the carb and jets. They even sell an enzyme for marine engines to mix with gas to deal with the problem.

Andy

/ briggs engine #4  
Lanse said:
Ive been trying to get my mower working today, and it will run just fine on choke, but nothing elce. It also runs WAY faster then normal, and i cant seem to get the combination right on these screws on the carb, the idle and needle screw. What aint i doing???

Consider the following:

(1) The way faster than normal speed typically is the result of a vacuum leak which acts like an open throttle. Instead of the throttle being open (letting more air in) in the normal fashion, it is getting it's air elsewhere. Check carburetor mounting screws to ensure they are not loose or gasket damaged or damaged/disconnected vacuum hoses, cracked manifold, etc.

(2) The engine not wanting to run on anything but full choke suggests clogged jets or fuel starvation EXCEPT that the full choke rectifies the situation meaning that the carburetor DOES have enough fuel to operate properly and is NOT STARVING. A full choke will not make a clogged fuel filter or other inlet issue pass more fuel. Rust in float bowl more often than not causes float needle to sit in open position causing a flooding situation instead. Meaning... a much more likely condition being a possible vacuum leak such as from the carburetor mounting bolts being loose or damaged/disconnected vacuum hoses, cracked manifold, etc. In order to understand this, you need to know the principle behind how a carburetor works. Air flowing through the carburetor venturis (a narrowing of the carburetor) causes air to flow faster through that narrowing passage which results in sort of vacuum wake that draws fuel into the air flow and mixes to form a combustible mixture. When the air is going into the engine from another source (vacuum leak) rather than through the normal channel, a lean mixture results which you have compensated for by applying full choke.

(3) The idle and needle screws not having any effect is the result of (1) above. Remember that carburetors have many different circuits: power/tip-in/acceleration circuit, etc. The idle circuit is one of those circuits and function only at IDLE SPEEDS. The engine running at "way higher" than normal speeds means that the idle circuit is no longer active and hence, the mixture screws will have no effect. If the high idle is the result of a vacuum leak, then the idle speed adjustment screw will also have no effect because, well, the air entering the engine by means of a leak won't be controlled by the throttle blade position which is precisely what the idle speed adjustment screw attempts to adjust.

My recommendations is to first look for any obvious leaks through a visual inspection. If none, try tightening the carb mounting screws. If not that, some folks recommend spraying some oil into some seams and seeing if that temporarily plugs the leak. You'll know because the idle speed will change. I don't like doing that because I don't like dirty oily engines and it only makes a mess of things. You can also run a propane torch (not lit, of course) around the engine/carb area and see if the idle situation changes. The engine will suddenly run rich if the torch is supplying propane to the area of the vacuum leak. Once you've rectified your vacuum leak, corrected the high idle situation, you can then go back and readjust your idle mixture screws and idle speed screw.

BTW, oftentimes when this occurs, many folks will remove the carburetor, rebuild and the problem goes away. The thinking is that the carburetor must have been dirty which caused the problem not knowing that they fixed a vacuum leak during the removal and installation process by installing new gaskets, replacing old vacuum hoses, proper tightening of the re-installed carb.

Hope this helps and the explanation understandable.

/ briggs engine #5  
That sounds just like my typical spring start for the B&S lawnmower engine I had. Proper layup in the fall was the real answer. :D

I used to add fuel conditioner to the gas and keep mucking around with all the little things that can be adjusted till it started to sound like it was running. Then I'd leave it on till the whole tank of gas had gone through. That always seemed to help. Then it was back to trying to find out where all the adjustment screws should be set at!:confused: :confused:

/ briggs engine #6  
As well as all those other suggestions, clean the air filter. My recently purchased B&S mower was running terribly after only about 10 hours work. Washing the air filter fixed it. It doesnt take much to get them clogged.

/ briggs engine #7  
Pull the top off it and check the flywheel woodruff key. They usually shear if you hit a tree root or rock. It puts the timing out and makes them hard to start run faster etc.
Had this before myself and always check the key if the mower is hard to start.
Basically the key is designed to shear rather than have a crankshaft bend, or worse.

/ briggs engine #8  
Sounds like you need to dis-assemble and clean carb, dump the old fuel and re-assemble. When running, the propane idea is a great hint to find a possible vacuum leak as the rpm will likely increase if there is.
Rule of thumb on setting the idle mix screw is turn all the way in ( not to tight ) then back the screw out 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turn, then after it is warmed up slowly turn the screw in until you hear the rpm drop, then back the screw out until the rpm increase then starts to drop again noting the screw position each time. Then set the screw between those two points.
If after cleaning it starts normally but the idle speed screw has no effect raising or lowering the rpm, check the linkage from the governer to the carb to see if it is moving freely (you can check this first as it could be stuck full open causing a hard starting condition).

Paul

/ briggs engine #9  
My Lincoln Welder had not run for about 4 yrs. After dumping the gas and taking the Carb off, cleaning everything out and putting back together, The engine started right up, but wanted to repeatedly surge. I worked hard looking for a leak somewhere, but none to be found, Also tried to adjust the jets High and Low speed. Not much luck. Decided to take it to a local repair shop. The Technican came out to the trailer and within about 10 sec, adjusted the jets to get it to run smooth. I was embarrased, but really glad not to spend a lot of money to get it going. My question is, how did he do it? Is there a technique to adjusting the jets,,, I thought I had tried everything, several times... but apparently not. It almost seemed like he was tuning a guitar by ear, He knew the sound he was looking for and home'd in on it right away....