Seeders Brillion Seeder

/ Brillion Seeder #11  
Front and rear wheels move independant; they just are wheels with a shaft that is maybe 1/16th smaller diameter.
The front wheel packs the soil and forms a groove where the seed is dropped. The rear wheels need to be adjusted so they "split" the front grooves and push just a little soil on top of the seed.
For grass and alfalfa this is the ticket if you have a fine seedbed. People drive by my alfalfa or lawn and remark how beautiful it is.
I don't know much about the other seeder but think it is more used for grasses and grains. Have seen some with a meter and drop arrangement like the Brillion so it must work.

/ Brillion Seeder #12  
I seeded alfalfa for the neighbor a few weeks ago with a unit like that. It was a pull-type Brillion Sure-Stand. It was about double the size of your unit....had left side and right side seed bins and they each had a baffle inside. Looked like two of yours mounted side by side. Same arrangement inside the seed compartment. Was seeding coated alfalfa from the rear compartment. Didn't use the rolling drum compartments. He was using it to reseed some hayfields that had gotten a bit sparse....the fields hadn't been turned up or anything.

Had wheels mounted on stub axles that would carry most of the weight for road transport. The rear roller still ran on the pavement during transport. To get the transport wheels on/off you had to run the front roller up on a 4x4 to get the weight off the wheel. Once you got it configured, you backed it off the 4x4. With your 3PH arrangement you wouldn't need to fool around with this.

The neighbor like the way it seeded but thought it was kinda slow. The seed bins didn't feed evenly. Seed would pile up in the bins toward the center of the seeder while the outside ends would run dry. If you kept it nearly full it wasn't too bad. If trying to run it out, you had to stop and redistribute the seed in the bins quite often. Had a lever on the unit's left end that could be used to turn off/on the seed flow via a rope to the tractor. Worked about half the time. Again, your 3PH hookup negates the need for that.

Seemed like a sturdy old unit. Glad to hear there are a lot of them still around.
Bob

/ Brillion Seeder #13  
I have a repair parts catalog for that seeder do you want a copy just let me know and I can send it in a file for ya . thanks Kirk and your looks better than mine and mine works great I paid 175.00 canadian for it .

/ Brillion Seeder #14  
I see this is a very old thread, but here's my $.02. It is a very versatile seeder, can seed lots of crops, value in central MD is somewhere between $600 and $1200. To answer the question about the packer rings, yes, the back gang "floats" with respect to the front one. When properly aligned, the rings on the back should be slightly offset from those on the front(left to right offset). Both gangs should be just tight enough to allow individual rings to skid, should you hit a rock. You adjust the gang, by sliding the end clamp(s) in, and tightening the hex head capscrew , kinda like tightening a hose clamp.

/ Brillion Seeder
I have decided to sell this Brillion seeder as i can't seem to find time to restore it. See the private party forum ad for info.

/ Brillion Seeder #16  
Just acquired an older Brillion seeder and wanted to see if anyone can identify the model. I can't seem to find the model only the serial number. Seed boxes are in good shape and it appears to have been greased often looking at the buildup. Other than that don't know much more about it. It is a 5 1/2ft model and I can make out it does say Sure-Stand on it. Hoping someones has had some experience with one like it. I plan to call Brillion on Monday to see if I could locate a manual for it too.

100_3017resized.jpg

100_3018resized.jpg

100_3019resized.jpg

I would like to know more about your BRILLION "typical" seeder, I have found one just like it. I plan to do some slight modification and attach it behind a rotor tiller for food plots! I would like to find pdf also. How do you like it? any down falls? ect.

/ Brillion Seeder
I sold it last year. I might still have the manual somewhere but it might take a bit to find. Placing it behind a rototiller in my mind would not allow one of the seeders shining qualities which is that it seeds fast. To each there own.

/ Brillion Seeder #18  
How was the performance?

/ Brillion Seeder #19  
Placing it behind a rototiller in my mind would not allow one of the seeders shining qualities which is that it seeds fast. To each there own.

whats the point of fast seeding when you have to cover the ground twice instead of just once?

by way of physics i dont care how fast you can do the second pass, it will ALWAYS take longer than just the first pass.

/ Brillion Seeder #20  
I sold it last year. I might still have the manual somewhere but it might take a bit to find. Placing it behind a rototiller in my mind would not allow one of the seeders shining qualities which is that it seeds fast. To each there own.

All of the manuals are now online at the Brillion website. You have to fool around in the "archive" section for a while but all the parts and operator manuals appear to be there.