Broke my Backhoe - JD 48

/ Broke my Backhoe - JD 48 #1  

MMH

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4500
I bend the bucket cylinder rod on my John Deere 48 backhoe. I was pulling a stump out and and was driving the tractor & dragging it. The cheapest rod I could find is on 'Green Farm Part" for $224. How difficult is it to rebuild the bucket cylinder? Are there any special tools needed. I'm hoping that the only broken part is the rod, but I guess I won't know until I take it apart. If someone can get me some repair instructions, I would very much appreciate it. Also, the part numbers found are M138577 for the rod only & MP19268 for the cylinder - can some one verify these.

OK, so I was an idiot & do know better. I guess I was lazy & did not want to do it the hard way (knock clay off of stump, cut apart in pieces w/ chainsaw (and burning up a couple of chains in the process). Now that I got that out of the way, I know that you are not supposed to tow w/ the backhoe. However, towing w/ the FEL is not any better. So, how do you tow with the backhoe & FEL attached? Would it be OK to weld some chain grab hooks or D-rings to the base of the boom arm (down low close to where it attaches to the subframe)?

Man, I am pissed at myself for being so stupid. Anyway time to get fixin'. At least I don't have to worry about getting a ticket from the safety police.

Attachments

• Broken Bucket Rod 1 LR 2012-06-10.jpg
    Broken Bucket Rod 1 LR 2012-06-10.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 728
  • Broken Bucket Rod 2 LR 2012-06-10.jpg
    Broken Bucket Rod 2 LR 2012-06-10.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 650
  • Broken Bucket Rod 3 LR 2012-06-10.jpg
    Broken Bucket Rod 3 LR 2012-06-10.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 732
   / Broke my Backhoe - JD 48 #2  
Take the cylinder to a local hydraulic shop, they can probably rebuild it for cheaper than you can buy the direct replacement dear parts.

You can look through the forum and find pictures of rods bent just like yours, and they were just digging with the hoe. I think the old Backhoes cylinders were sized a little small.

/ Broke my Backhoe - JD 48 #3  
I bent my arm links on the FEL. Wrapped a chain around them, curled the bucket which caused major binding. Binds are powerful. Beat myself up too.

Bet we don't do that again. :thumbsup:

/ Broke my Backhoe - JD 48 #5  
Guys thanks:thumbsup: for the postings. I have dragged stuff and was concerned about this. Now I know the answer as to what can happen.

/ Broke my Backhoe - JD 48 #6  
As stated, have a shop straighten the rod.:thumbsup:

/ Broke my Backhoe - JD 48
As stated, have a shop straighten the rod.:thumbsup:
I don't think that straitening will work. The rod bent hard enough that the chrome plating cracked & chipped off.

/ Broke my Backhoe - JD 48 #8  
I would look up the part number and look for it on line. Bet it was not sourced from JD.

Other wise measure pin size, etc and search hydraulic houses for matching size.

/ Broke my Backhoe - JD 48 #9  
Find a hydraulic shop in your area, they can replace the rod and rebuild the cylinder much cheeper than buying new.

/ Broke my Backhoe - JD 48 #10  
I did the EXACT same thing once, with my old hoe.
To say I was angry with myself is a gross understatement.
I fixed the cylinder myself, but unless you really want to learn how (and suffer the attending learning curve) do as the guys suggest and have the cylinder done elsewhere.