Broke my Massey GC2400 - need advice...

/ Broke my Massey GC2400 - need advice... #1  

Rohant

Tractor
MF GC2400
Broke my Massey GC2400 Hydraulic Filter Thread - need advice...

Hi,

Today, after using the mid-mount mower deck for about an hour, there was a loud bang then knocking and oil spewing out from under the tractor.

On inspection, the drive shaft from the mower deck has come away and when it was flailing around, it has hit the hydraulic oil filter and broken it off from the thread that attaches the oil filter to the transmission/sump housing.

I am trying to understand what options I have.

• Is there are part number for the hydraulic oil filter thread? This would allow me to get the part, have what is left of the thread removed and a new one inserted.
  • Do you have to get a new transmission housing?

Thanks in advance for any advice and/or suggestions.

Rohan

Attachments

• Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    861.4 KB · Views: 656
  • Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    859 KB · Views: 724
Last edited:
   / Broke my Massey GC2400 - need advice... #2  
Thats pretty messy-I dont think you can get the threads seperatly and looks like its all one piece and you may need a whole cover? The labor is going to be the most expensive part.

/ Broke my Massey GC2400 - need advice... #3  
I'd guess the thread is a removable "stub", just because it would greatly simplify the machining (and cost) of that big casting it's part of. If it is, then a screw extractor will help you get it out. A dealer should be able to tell you yea or nay - try to order the stub pipe and see if they can get one or if it's part of the casting, either integral or as an inseperable assembly.

/ Broke my Massey GC2400 - need advice...
beckmurph,

Thanks for the link to the Agco Parts Book. Looks like the hydraulic filter thread is an integrated part of the front cover/housing (Part #4264908M1 pictured below).

Can find the part for about $480 online in the USA, but this will translate to about $900 in Australia. Yes, they tend to almost double the price of parts here :mad:

As you pointed out cdaigle430 - labour is going to be very expensive - full pulldown and reassembly of the rear drive train.

I see that this course is going to cost many thousands of dollars, so I think I will pursue the alternative path and see if the local engineering firm can drill & tap in new filter thread into the housing. This should only take an hour and a new thread - bound to be only a few hundred dollars.

The Mid-Mount-Mover drive shaft also needs a new PTO Yoke. While the yoke is only a $100 part, not sure how to remove the old one and put on the new one. Otherwise it will be a whole new Uni-Joint drive shaft kit that is US$700 - then add the Australian dealer markup (gouge)!

Drive Train Housing.png

Thanks for your assistance,

Rohan

/ Broke my Massey GC2400 - need advice... #6  
There was an issue with GC2310 when it came out about the filter housing getting damaged from stumps etc. . Massey had an update where you can get a guard to protect it. Don't know about a fix for broken housing. plowking

plowking,

Thanks for the reply. There is a large 1/4" steel guard around the filter and PTO area, however, this has not stopped the universal joint drive shaft to the mid-mount mower deck from hitting the filter when then PTO yoke has failed and come away.

Thanks,

Rohan

/ Broke my Massey GC2400 - need advice... #8  
I would have that repaired. Clean up what is there, tap it and make a threaded adapter. Loctite the transmission side. Alternatively you could only thread the filter side and make the other end press fit from the inside with a shoulder. And while you are at it have a spare made.

If I have this threaded as is suggested, should I make sure they use the same bore so that hydraulic oil flow and subsequently pumps are not affected?

Cheers,

Rohan

/ Broke my Massey GC2400 - need advice... #10  
Rohan, there is plenty of thickness inside the broken off threaded aluminum. Most filter mounts I have seen use a threaded steel pipe. Both inside and outside threads. I agree with your proposed repair of using a thinner walled steel pipe, tapping the aluminum housing, and then installing the pipe, and a new filter. replacing the 1/4" plate guard, and then also fabricating a PTO shaft ring retaining guard like is used on racing autos. This consists of a two piece circular guard that bolts around the shaft, then also attached to tractor frame on both sides. This ensures that if the PTO shafts ever comes loose again it is held in place approximately where it is regularly running. I have also seen flexible rubber sleeves which encase the universal joint which allows it to still flex, but limits its ability to "flop about" if it breaks free. Old radiator hose, high quality may fit that. IH3444

Last edited: