Broke my Milwaukee

/ Broke my Milwaukee #11  
Most of us done things as you did over the years like putting cheater bars on wrenches. :eek:

Like the time the Nimnurd at the dealership used an impact wrench to put the blades on my mower? He did a good job adjusting the height, though, too bad he didn't make sure the air pressure was the same in all the tires.

/ Broke my Milwaukee
Sounds like you might be lucky and just need a new screw for the Milwaukee. Hope so.

I use a cordless Makita 1/2" impact wrench for that kind of work. Much better tool than a straight drill.

Also, there are better structural screws available. The Spax and GRK type structural screws do not need a pilot hole and they go in faster than an old fashioned lag bolt. By the time you drill your pilot holes, you would be done with the whole job using modern structural screws.

Another point is that, depending on the wood, large old fashioned lags actually might need two pilots. One smaller and deeper hole where the threads are, and one larger and shallow hole where the shank is. Mostly it doesn't matter but on hardwood and wood that wants to split, drilling a shallow larger hole for the shank makes a lot of difference.

Finally, when I had a lot of those big old time lags to install, I dipped them in a can of motor oil first. Makes life much easier.

I ordered a replacement chuck screw - in fact I ordered a couple because I will probably do it again.
I have indeed used the Spax and GRK screws before. I don't know why it didn't occur to me this time. Probably set in my ways thinking.

/ Broke my Milwaukee
Sounds like you needed a Milwaukee impact... I have the 3/4 and I知 in LOVE! A few years ago, I was building some H braces for fence and it was a multistep PIA process to get the lag screws in. This year I used my new cordless impact to attach some flex fence brackets and it went in soooooo much easier. Getting rusty lug nuts off my skid steer was a breeze. 5/5 would recommend!

I love my wife.
When I told her I broke my drill and had to stop, she asked me why I didnt have a spare. Then told me to buy one.
I'm thinking a lot of stuff is about to break. :shhh:

/ Broke my Milwaukee
A Milwaukee electric drill...................... You need to get in the 21st century and cut the cord anyways, 20v Dewalt. The good news is now you can build up some reward points on your credit card.

I use a lot of these Spax screws........ https://www.homedepot.com/p/SPAX-5-...Contractor-Pax-50-Box-4571010801008/301068429

I indeed have several 18 and 20v Dewalt tools. That's what I drilled the pilot holes with!
The only problem is, battery tools dont supply the near unlimited torque and endless supply of power that I require in order to get myself into trouble.