Broke my TC40DA

/ Broke my TC40DA #1  

eddie48

Gold Member
Tractor
LS xr4145, TC40DA, New Idea spreader, Dolmar and Echo saws, Ford 3550 backhoe, lots of junk
Didn't pay attention. Backed over a 4 foot bank and flipped the tractor over on me. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt and other than being sore for a week or so, no problems. However, the tractor is broken. Transmission case is broken and I can see a crack in the bell housing. I decided to fix it. Have all of the sheet metal off of the back half of the tractor and I can see the damage pretty clearly. I've never had one of these (hydro) tractors apart before. Anyone split one? Any advice?

I found a service manual available from a place called SSB Farm Tractors. Anyone know about their products? Don't want to spend $500 without knowing.

I know, PICTURES. Don't know how to get them from my Chromebook to this site. Sorry.

Eddie

/ Broke my TC40DA #2  
Wow Eddie.. I sure hate to hear that.. GLAD your ok tho..
Sorry but no help on the rebuild..

/ Broke my TC40DA #3  
That sounds like a bit of bad fortune and I, too, am glad you survived with so little damage to yourself - I'm sure you're aware it could have turned out MUCH worse. The tractor is "only" money. As far as SSB Tractors, I purchased a manual from them for my D4 Cat. It had a lot of good information but the manual itself was a rather poor photocopy of a Cat manual. Since the Cat was a 1942 model that may be the most one could expect for that vintage. Still, I'd seek out an original model if possible.

/ Broke my TC40DA #4  
Didn't pay attention. Backed over a 4 foot bank and flipped the tractor over on me. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt and other than being sore for a week or so, no problems. However, the tractor is broken. Transmission case is broken and I can see a crack in the bell housing. I decided to fix it. Have all of the sheet metal off of the back half of the tractor and I can see the damage pretty clearly. I've never had one of these (hydro) tractors apart before. Anyone split one? Any advice?

I found a service manual available from a place called SSB Farm Tractors. Anyone know about their products? Don't want to spend $500 without knowing.

I know, PICTURES. Don't know how to get them from my Chromebook to this site. Sorry.

Eddie

Glad you are OK- must have been quite a scare. Sorry to hear the transmission is cracked.

I bought manuals from SSB for my Ford 3000 a FEL parts, operation and service manual from them. They were not color manuals but were complete. Poor Photocopy does accurately describe some of the pages

$500 does seem a bit high.

/ Broke my TC40DA
Thanks for the quick answers. I went to my local Ford/NH dealer and ordered a complete service/repair manual from them. Still $500, but it will be new and complete. After the accident, I shopped for a new, replacement, tractor. New Holland, Kubota and LS. The LS was almost $10,000 less than the others. Bought it and have it. I've only used it a bit, but it seems to be very similar to the tc40da. Visibility for the bucket is not quite as good...the hood sits higher in my view and I haven't figured out how to lift and tilt the bucket at the same time...seems to be one or the other. On the plus side, very comfortable, stable, quieter and I haven't tipped it over, yet.

/ Broke my TC40DA #6  
Glad to hear you are ok, and sorry to hear about your tractor. You can get the service manual from NH for $331. There are some on Ebay for $140 ish. $500 seems high.

I would inspect the tractor before you put too much money into it. I bought a parts tractor 1630, smaller, that had the cracked case as well. It also cracked the ear on the engine block. If it's just the transmission case or bell housing that's broke, it's expensive, but not as bad as if the engine is cracked. I looked around for my 1630, and could not find any used, and everyplace I called laughed at me. For the smaller size, these parts are in hot demand since they are known to crack.

Do you have any pictures? I would start by separating the tractor from the engine, then you can really se what is going on.

/ Broke my TC40DA #7  
actually, for a $500 service manual, I would insist on plastic coated pages, and gold leaf edges!!.. else they must be kidding!!.. maybe it's just New Holland charging this much. it seems crazy!..

/ Broke my TC40DA #8  
Eddie,

Glad you are OK... tractors are replaceable...

Hopefully the damage won't be to bad on the TC40DA... $500 for the manual seems crazy, but I know that's what they get (I luckily got one on ebay for the TC40D)... If the dealer you bought it from is who I think it is (in N Franklin) at least they are good to deal with ; I'm not far from them either (in Coventry)...

Again glad you are ok....

/ Broke my TC40DA
dlctcg

I grew up in Coventry. Right on the lake.

You are right about the dealer. Great folks.

The manual is 1400 pages so it should be comprehensive and, if it is, it will be worth the $500 to me. I can't believe how many lines, wires and components will have to be disconnected and, then, reconnected to make this repair. Just having something to refer to showing which goes where will be invaluable.

/ Broke my TC40DA #10  
A parts manual is sometimes good to have to as it shows the order parts are assembled.