Rotary Cutter Broke turnbuckle first time using bush hog

/ Broke turnbuckle first time using bush hog #31  
I agree...pretty flimsy.
Even the older Deeres (670, 55 series, 770, 790, etc.) had robust forged anti-sway links.

Now Roy you know they just don't build 'em like they used to. Sometimes that's a good thing, this time not so much.

/ Broke turnbuckle first time using bush hog #32  
The OP has not described if he/she was PULLING the mower forward or PUSHING the mower in reverse. Tractors are designed to PULL, not PUSH.

Turnbuckles only provide 50% of support when pushing, relative to pulling, at best. In addition, factory turnbuckle stabilizers on my Kubota B3300SU weighed 4 pounds. Replacement Stabilworks pin adjustable stabilizers weigh 14 (+) pounds. I am not an engineer but I calculate Stabilworks mechs must be at least eight times stronger than factory turnbuckles WHEN PUSHING A BUSH HOG INTO THICK BRUSH.

In my experience the two occasions that cause turnbuckle stabilizer failure are PUSHING a bush hog and PUSHING a box blade.

Watch the Stabilworks video:

Kubota tractor stabilizers Kubota [url]www.stabilworks.com - YouTube[/url]

/ Broke turnbuckle first time using bush hog #33  
Stabilworks option looks super strong and stable.

/ Broke turnbuckle first time using bush hog
The OP has not described if he/she was PULLING the mower forward or PUSHING the mower in reverse. Tractors are designed to PULL, not PUSH.

Turnbuckles only provide 50% of support when pushing, relative to pulling, at best. In addition, factory turnbuckle stabilizers on my Kubota B3300SU weighed 4 pounds. Replacement Stabilworks pin adjustable stabilizers weigh 14 (+) pounds. I am not an engineer but I calculate Stabilworks mechs must be at least eight times stronger than factory turnbuckles WHEN PUSHING A BUSH HOG INTO THICK BRUSH.

In my experience the two occasions that cause turnbuckle stabilizer failure are PUSHING a bush hog and PUSHING a box blade.

Watch the Stabilworks video:

Kubota tractor stabilizers Kubota [url]www.stabilworks.com - YouTube[/url]

He (me) was pulling most of the time, which was less than 10 minutes total before it broke. I had to back up a couple times to turn around. For all I know it could have broke while "pushing" when I was backing up to turn around. I didn't see the moment that it broke. I just happened to look back and see that it was broke. Either way, I think I am going to go with the Kubota parts to make my arms. Stabil Works looks great, but I can't justify the price difference.

/ Broke turnbuckle first time using bush hog #35  
To fix the factory defect would be $5 at our local welding shop.

/ Broke turnbuckle first time using bush hog
I can get it re-welded for free, but it would still be a weak set up in my opinion.

/ Broke turnbuckle first time using bush hog #37  
I can get it re-welded for free, but it would still be a weak set up in my opinion.

I agree...it's inherently a weak design.