Broken Bushog

/ Broken Bushog #1  

MESSMAKER

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK4710SE
I broke one of the lift arms on my 5 foot king kutter rotary mower. It broke were the lift pin goes through. Can I grind and weld the lift arm, then weld and drill a plate to reinforce the arm. It will require a longer lift pin. Am I wasting my time and should go ahead and buy a new one?

/ Broken Bushog #2  
Does your linkage on the brush hog articulate? When you through a dip is the tail wheel taking weight when your rear tires are at the bottom of the dip? On older non articulating linkages, a chain as the top link allows the tail to raise up without stressing the linkage.

/ Broken Bushog #3  
How about a picture or two?

/ Broken Bushog
Does your linkage on the brush hog articulate? When you through a dip is the tail wheel taking weight when your rear tires are at the bottom of the dip? On older non articulating linkages, a chain as the top link allows the tail to raise up without stressing the linkage.

It does articulate, but I have had it bottom out so I replaced top link with a chain. My break occurred on the lift arm. One of the two pieces that make the A-arm.

/ Broken Bushog #5  
You stand to save a good bit of coin by fixing it and not replacing it.
If the rest of the cutter is in good shape and you are happy with its performance, then I'd say go ahead and weld it up.
Do you know if it just wore/rusted through or did it somehow get overloaded and tear the mount apart?

/ Broken Bushog #6  
I never buy new if I can repair something. Even if I cant repair it, I give it a try first before buying new. The way I figure, it is broke now so I cant mess it up any more than it is.
You can buy longer lift pins also, so you should be able to double strap it in the broken space. Just bevel both pieces so you can get a full pen weld.
I would put a 30 degree bevel on the broken pieces, then use the doubler strap as a backing bar. Weld the broken piece solid to the backer bar, then weld around the backer bar perimeter. That should hold it.

/ Broken Bushog
You stand to save a good bit of coin by fixing it and not replacing it.
If the rest of the cutter is in good shape and you are happy with its performance, then I'd say go ahead and weld it up.
Do you know if it just wore/rusted through or did it somehow get overloaded and tear the mount apart?

You and I have the same idea. i am going to give it a try. Thanks to all.