Broken KingKutter Brush hog

/ Broken KingKutter Brush hog #11  
I believe that JoeinTX is correct that your top link pivot is backwards. I've attached a pic of how mine (48 inch size) looks. The manual seems to show it this way but it wasn't completely clear (at least to me when I put mine together). I haven't had any probs with it though... it works fine.

John

Attachments

• 644867-King Kutter.jpg
    644867-King Kutter.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 465
   / Broken KingKutter Brush hog #12  
DaveP,

I agree it looks like the top link is wrong. Where do you live in NC?
If relatively close to me in Salisbury, I'd be glad to come by check it out with you.

/ Broken KingKutter Brush hog #13  
I had a little trouble understanding what Joe said in his first post (yes, I'm slow) but I think he's hit the nail on the head. Put the back links back on, but attach them to the upper bolt hole. The swinging yoke should be attached to the lower hole so that your tractors top link attaches to it and the pair hang DOWN and swing forward and back from this down position.

/ Broken KingKutter Brush hog #14  
Gosh.. I've got a 5' KK hog.. smaller.. but same geometry and layout.

The irst damage looks like a squash or blowout.. like you backed into something, and the lift arms spread. The damage after the chain install has the front bent down.. you hit a stump while going forward?

I used my 5' hog on my EX-NH 1920.. admittedly too much tractor for that hog.. it should have been a 6' hog.. but I did some rough stuff with that mower.. even made a few wide turns and toop out fence post.. all without a single bend to the frame. Somethings not right.

I agree with the others.. the floating toplink connection needs to flop forward.. not up or back.

Also.. I can't tell form the pics.. but how long is your pto shaft.. is your shaft too long and bottoming out?

Soundguy

/ Broken KingKutter Brush hog #15  
I agree that the top link is set up wrong.. it's a floating top link.. the top link should hang inside the "A" frame.. not above it. But it seems.. you had to back up into something.. or made a sharp turn while the mower was against an unmoveable object(tree).. to get the frame to bend like that. It def. wouldn't bend like like from straight back & forth mowing.. unless your front section of your mower frame is heavily dragging the ground.. and bent while you were turning around. Sorry about the problems.

Second Thought:
"All bent up again! "

Did you check the PTO shaft length.. w/ the mower 3pt hooked up(do not hook up the PTO).. raise the mower to full height.. then see if the PTO shaft is short enough to still attach to the tractor's PTO.

/ Broken KingKutter Brush hog #16  
I have a 7 ft. heavy duty KK. The top link setup is the same as the one in the picture. One of my tractors doesn't have a locking device for the top link and it would turn while in use and the top link would continue to get longer. When I went over a terrace with the cutter raised the back wheels made contact with the top of the terrace and put a little bend in the end of the top link. On that tractor I stopped using the top link and just let the wheels run on the ground and use the lift arms to raise and lower the deck. It works fine like that for clipping pasture.

I took the pivot piece off and tried to turn it around like some of you are suggesting. It won't work like that without some modification. If I use a top link that can be locked in after it set up I have no problems.

From what I experienced and saw in his pictures it could very well be the same problem. My 7 ft. unit has some very thick steel in those brackets so my top link took the damage. If I had had a smaller lighter duty cutter it could have very well bent just like those in the picture. If the top link didn't bend the brackets would have to. That would mean the pivot piece got pushed back and the welded on stop at the bottom of the pivot bracket hit the underside of the top link. Then the pressure was on the arm brackets if the top link was stronger than those brackets. Clear as mud. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif In short if the tractor front end is going up hill and the cutter is going down hill (a dip in the land) that top link pivot bracket will hinge back till the bracket stop hits on the underside of the top link. Something's gotta give after that.

/ Broken KingKutter Brush hog #17  
Sounds very possibly for the first damage.. that squashed 'blown out' look.

Soundguy

/ Broken KingKutter Brush hog #18  
Joe,
You missed something. I was speaking about the A frame would need to pivot IF he used the chains like the dealer said. The A frame is solid with bracing on this mower. When he installed chains from the A frame toward the back of the cutter it removed all rear bracing from the upper area of the A frame.