Broken Zerk!

/ Broken Zerk! #11  
i second what Eddie said about drilling a hole in the zerk. dint think it through to the detail; only applies to getting screws out. the zerks i ahve dealt with lately already have a hole that my hansen set will fit to back out; they are also very, very cheap metal...soft. if you try to dril a bigger hole in the broken zerk 'shaft', you will likely mess the threads up in the part that is 'zerked'....i don't think they make 'helicoils' that small (joking :)) the small file handel, if there is room, sounds to me like it would work-maybe even filing a nail, or using a small screwdriver, if the zerk you got is as soft as the one that was in my gate (i swear, i think the thing was aluminum-tossed it, or i'd put a magnet to it and see)...invention, the mother of us all lol!

rebb

/ Broken Zerk! #12  
Only thing about the small file handle is making sure it don't break and leaving a nice hard brittle piece in your way..

soundguy

/ Broken Zerk! #13  
Maybe even a faucet seat remover tool. Sometimes those are tapered I think. Might not be small enough though.

/ Broken Zerk! #14  
john_bud said:
EZ out

They usually come out pretty nice.

jb

I'll second this one, I just had to remove one a couple weeks ago and the easy-out worked great, but I didn't know they make a 4 way tool for it so that sounds like the thing to buy if you've got the buy something. I wouldn't drill it out because I'd be worried about getting bits of metal left in there.

/ Broken Zerk!
Here is a picture of the broken zerk attached to the snap-on tool I used to remove it.

Everything went well.

The tool from Snap-on was sooo nice and allowed me to use "hand power" to gently back the zerk out.

4-27-08 022.jpg

/ Broken Zerk! #17  
When dealing with extractors.. 'hand power' is all I'd ever use.. unless I wanted a snappe doff hard tool steel peg in the hole that I was working on..

soundguy

Doc_Bob said:
The tool from Snap-on was sooo nice and allowed me to use "hand power" to gently back the zerk out.

View attachment 101927

/ Broken Zerk! #18  
Soundguy said:
When dealing with extractors.. 'hand power' is all I'd ever use.. unless I wanted a snappe doff hard tool steel peg in the hole that I was working on..

soundguy

SG you are just missing out on all the fun then :D

DocBob, that extractor you have is the best design out there in my opinion.

/ Broken Zerk! #19  
I've snappe dplenty by hand.. thus i know that doing it with a power implement would be shear folly.. ( pun intended! )

soundguy

/ Broken Zerk! #20  
One of my favorite stories from being an aircraft sheetmetal guy.

#10 screw with high tourque head (countersunk and weird) A tip cap screw for a helicopter.

They let their mechanics and sheetmetal guys get hold of it before me, I was tied up removing all the others they had stripped.

Anyway, #10 CS hard as a rock screw, 2, yes 2 broken cobalt bits wedged in on the edges of the broken off "easy out".

The production control NCO looks at me and holding a straight face says I need to get that out, and "don't screw it up"

I looked at him and said "too late"