Brought 57 cub home today

/ Brought 57 cub home today #81  
One might describe your current machine as 'cherry' perhaps?

/ Brought 57 cub home today
One might describe your current machine as 'cherry' perhaps?
Yeah you could say that I guess. The same holds true for my 1951 Ford 8n. That one also still has the factory tires on it. It also still has its “work clothes” ie factory paint.

My Cub had been repainted by the old maintenance guy at the factory that I bought it from. It must have sat outside for a while also, because the original front tires are looking pretty rough.

My old Ford was never stored outside, and the original 73 year old Firestones are still looking pretty good at 2000 operating hours.
IMG_3062.jpeg

I like having those old gasoline powered cherries around. Now that diesel costs so much more than gas, it’s cheaper to get work done with them, than it is with any new tractor that you can buy today.

/ Brought 57 cub home today #83  
No snow here but almost the same regarding vintage tractors... 49 Cub, 50 M and 53 Jubilee.

The cub is always the Christmas center piece at the tree farm... my guess is in thousands of holiday pictures...

Great to see yours on the job...

Filled up today with 87 gas at $5 gallon...

Attachments

• 1949 Farmall Cub with Wagon.jpg
    1949 Farmall Cub with Wagon.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
No snow here but almost the same regarding vintage tractors... 48 Cub, 50 M and 53 Jubilee.

The cub is always the Christmas center piece at the tree farm... my guess is thousands of pictures...

Great to see yours on the job...

Filled up today and gad at $5
Damn, that is a close match maybe only three years off. Is your M a Farmall or a John Deere ?

The first tractor on our farm was a 1949 John Deere M, which my dad still has, but which he hasn’t tried to start in about 15 years. He says he’s leaving that one to my brother when he passes. That don’t bother me too much, because it’s pretty much worn out. I spent a lot of hours cultivating corn and crimping and raking hay with that old M. It’s also been repainted.
IMG_3098.jpeg

IMG_3090.jpeg

/ Brought 57 cub home today #85  
Are you sure we are not related living in parallel universes?

I'm in the SF Bay Area part of California... also have the twin Troy Built Tiller... and maple bed headboard...

Couldn't tell were you are located but no snow here...

The 1950 M has a straight pipe and LOUD doesn't begin to describe the sound but it will idle down to nothing... nephew won't let me put a real muffler on it.

The Jubilee is just a nice tractor... retired and only for show now days.

Attachments

• IMG_20180803_154558292_HDR (1).jpg
    IMG_20180803_154558292_HDR (1).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 39DB8DCF-9414-400C-A17A-72EEF8FB0E44.jpeg
    39DB8DCF-9414-400C-A17A-72EEF8FB0E44.jpeg
    368.9 KB · Views: 23
  • small 1949 Farmall Cub.JPG
    small 1949 Farmall Cub.JPG
    321.3 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
   / Brought 57 cub home today #86  
I once bought what I was told was a two disc rear mounted plow for a Cub, at an auction. Not having a Cub, I marked it up and advertised it as such. Few, if any people were interested in the two disc rear mounted plow, but, I had several inquiries as to whether it was a one disc belly mounted model. They kept telling me what a good job the belly plow did.
The first attachment must be the one 2 disc I had.
This must be the one the people wanted and now, I see why.

Last edited:
Are you sure we are not related living in parallel universes?

I'm in the SF Bay Area part of California... also have the twin Troy Built Tiller... and maple bed headboard...

Couldn't tell were you are located but no snow here...

The 1950 M has a straight pipe and LOUD doesn't begin to describe the sound but it will idle down to nothing... nephew won't let me put a real muffler on it.

The Jubilee is just a nice tractor... retired and only for show now days.
Damn, we must be. I’m in upstate NY, but spent all of the last week working in SanDiego, so I’m still on CA time.

As I recall, that little muffler you can see on our M quieted it down pretty good. I definitely liked that two-banger “poppin Johnny” sound though. That M was always a gutsy tractor and did real good on a two bottom plow. I think it outpulled my slightly more horsepower Ford 8n.

Grandpa said that he bought the new John Deere M back in 49 because the Ford 8n he was considering was a lot more expensive.

He paid less for the John Deere with plow and mounted cultivators, than just the Ford tractor and plow would have cost.

Last edited:
   / Brought 57 cub home today #88  
Damn, we must be. I’m in upstate NY, but spent all of the last week working in SanDiego, so I’m still on CA time.
Wow... small world... I hear up state New York is a different world than New York city... my nephew lives their now and my niece is there visiting...

Something fascinating to me to find old iron still in the job for 75 years or more.

Enjoy seeing your pictures!

Wow... small world... I hear up state New York is a different world than New York city... my nephew lives their now and my niece is there visiting...

Something fascinating to me to find old iron still in the job for 75 years or more.

Enjoy seeing your pictures!
It’s way different for sure. I was only in the city once and I hated it. Our daughter’s high school field hockey team advanced to the final four a couple years ago. The tournament was on Long Island and I spent 3 hours, stuck in traffic in Queens, getting there.

Our daughter liked it though. They travelled in a big greyhound buss, and stayed in a fancy hotel. They lost their first game, so they got to spend the next day seeing the sites, Statue of Liberty and stuff. All I saw was bumper to bumper traffic.

We live on the old homestead where my great great great grandfather first settled in the early 1800’s, in western NY, about half way between lakes Erie and Ontario. I can have my boat in either one in a half hour. The summer, fall, and winter weather is almost perfect here, but the spring is always lame (hence I didn’t mind the week in Southern CA).

The land here is flat as a pancake, and the scenery ain’t all that great. The deer hunting, smallmouth bass (Lake Erie and upper Niagara River) and salmon (Lake Ontario) fishing is phenomenal though.

I’ve not been to northern CA, but I have been on a few work assignments in Portland OR, and found it to be pretty nice. I liked the scenery there better than southern CA, especially up around Mt Hood.

We went to a place to eat that I think was called “The Tippy Canoe” and it was pretty nice (I think it may have burned down now), as was the Timberview lodge, up on the mountain.

The scenery up there was good, but I didn’t care for it quite as much as what we have up in NY’s Adirondack mountains. That’s where I plan on moving after I retire (maybe), in about 6 years, depending where our girls settle down.

Our in-laws live up there now and my family has a seasonal place about an hour north, on the St Lawrence River. Each of those dwellings are waterfront and subject to high taxes because of that. I aim to find a nice chunk of land, about half way between.

Last edited:
   / Brought 57 cub home today #90  
We got a 6” snowfall last night, so I got to use the Cub again. I did our two driveways and our neighbors on each side. The PVC pipe, on the bottom of the plow, stayed on the whole time. I’ve plowed snow with many different rigs, but none were as fun or did better quality work than this one.

I know lots of guys like heated cabs for snow work, but I really like getting out in the fresh, cool, crisp winter air. It was 25 degrees F this morning and I wore insulated bibs and jacket, face mask and wool hat, wool lined mittens, and Mickey Mouse boots. I was very comfortable for over two hours out in the elements, suited up like that.

One of the best things about an open station tractor, especially with the offset “cultivation” Cub, is excellent forward visibility. That makes it very easy to clean right to the edge of the driveways and avoid turf damage on the unfrozen lawns.

I’m guessing that’s going to be our last plowable snow this season, but I’m not taking it off until I see no more sub-freezing temperatures in the long range forecast.

I’m looking forward to reinforcing the plow frame so that it is strong enough to move my boat around with a front mount hitch. I hope to do some April salmon fishing, so I’d like to get it welded up in time for that. It’s easier getting the boat back into position in the barn with a front hitch on a tractor than with the rear one on my truck.
View attachment 858752
View attachment 858753
View attachment 858754
View attachment 858755
My reference to a heated cab was when using a blower, not a plow blade actually. Nice Cub. Reminds me of my very first tractor which was a '49 A dual fuel offset. Long gone to a new home. I believe it's now a parade tractor.