Brush Grapple vs. 4n1

/ Brush Grapple vs. 4n1 #1  

parisq

Are 4n1's in the open bucket configuration suitable for grabbing and carrying thick cut brush and small cut trees (6" or less dia)? Also any suggestion on the better manufacturers?

/ Brush Grapple vs. 4n1 #2  
Yes, the 4 in 1 is perfect for picking up and carrying thick brush and small trees. My neighbor has one and he swears by it as the best part of his tractor. I considered getting one for my loader, but tested out a few at an auction the other day. What I learned was that it's impossible to see what the bucket is doing. You will open it and put it into position, but you have no idea what is happening when it closes. Either you get it or you don't. You wont know until you try to lift it. One issue that my neighbor has had is with the different thickness of the logs and trees he picks up. One side of the bucket will clamp down on the log, but the other side can't get down far enough to make contact. So while he's carrying the log, it spins around and at least one time, it twisted his bucket pretty bad. He said it took all day with the torch to beat it back into shope.

Since I would have to buy a 4 in 1 bucket or grapple either way, I figured the grapple was much better. There are several different types of grapples, so it's just a matter of how much you want to spend, how much lift that your loader has and how much use it will get. I went comercial for mine and expect it to be here in about two weeks.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Brush Grapple vs. 4n1 #3  
Are 4n1's in the open bucket configuration suitable for grabbing and carrying thick cut brush and small cut trees (6" or less dia)? Also any suggestion on the better manufacturers?

I love my 4n1 (compact attachments extreme duty 76"). That said, I'd use a grapple for that sort of thing in preference - the 4n1 can do it, but its awkward and not the best for the job.

/ Brush Grapple vs. 4n1
Thanks guys. I can see how visibility would be an issue grappling with the 4n1 as well as issues with large diameter trees. The 4n1 would get much more use, but as I'll be burying brush in deep holes, I need to see exactly what I'm doing as I near the edge.

/ Brush Grapple vs. 4n1 #5  
My grapple is added to my bucket, not a dedicated grapple. I can use to carry manure and other loose stuff as well as grab trees, logs, brush, and rocks. Visibility is such that I can tip the bucket forward to see the bottom and then figure the grapple will close on that unless it grabs the rock or log first.

You can get a single or double set up from Add-a-Grapple (precisionmanufacturing.com, I think) contolled singly or together, depending on how you plumb it.

/ Brush Grapple vs. 4n1 #6  
Yes, the 4 in 1 is perfect for picking up and carrying thick brush and small trees.

Eddie hasn't used his new grapple yet.:D

I have both a 4n1 and a grapple. There is no comparison for brush and tree work. The grapple is at least 5 times more efficient (time spent doing a brush/log related task). That said, the 4n1 is a great swiss army knife type of tool and is certainly capable of moving brush and individual trees. I am glad I have both. For serious brush work I don't even think about using the 4n1 but I do like it in combo with a BH for carting away the single stump and then cleaning up the area. When moving small trees/logs, the 4n1 can only take one at time due to it's clamping position while the grapple can be filled up with about as many as the loader can lift.

One other point, a 4n1 will set you back at least $1800-2000. You can get a very nice grapple from Markham for $900 delivered. Slam dunk.

I'd sell the 4n1 if I had to but they'll have to pry the grapple from my cold dead hands.

/ Brush Grapple vs. 4n1 #7  
My only comment is to watch the weight of the attachment, deducts from your total payload. I had a Bobcat Industrial grapple that I used on my NH TD35 even with the real wheel weights it was pretty easy to max out the loader. I might have another go at one sometime but will be sure to keep an eye on the weight. Was very handy for for moving brush. Roger