brush hog clutch

/ brush hog clutch #1  

heehaw

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M4900, B7510 and RTV
i have a sidewinder model GB602 rotary cutter, brush hog, and the clutch swarmed this wk-end..the lip on the end of the hub finally wore off, which let the entire clutch assembly, come off the shaft. i thought i had lucked out, because i bought an old GB725 with a bad gearbox, several years ago, for spare parts, but someone had welded the clutch together on that one. is it worth while to get another clutch??? how much do they cost?? i will probably just convert it to a shear bolt type, seems like there would be less to go wrong that way..
heehaw

/ brush hog clutch #2  
If you are talking about a slip clutch that fits on the pto drive shaft, TSC and other tractor supply places have them for about $100. If you don't replace it you will have to get a new drive shaft, or an extension, because it will be too short.

/ brush hog clutch #3  
Are you talking about an ORC???

/ brush hog clutch
sorry about lack of details..its the slip clutch on the front of the brush hog gear box....i have about decided to use the one thats welded together...and put in a 5/16 bolt for a sheer pin..that seems to be my cheapest way out, and should work ok..this is a really old brush hog..i think sidewinder is out of business now, so getting replacement parts might be pretty tough...i will check on a replacement slip clutch at the co-op this wk-end.. theres a Tractor Supply Co. being built in town now, but won't be open for another 4-6 months..
heehaw

/ brush hog clutch
i can get a replacement slip clutch from the company that took over side-winder, for $170...so i opted to use the one i have thats welded together. if anyone has a side-winder rotary cutter, i have a toll free number for the company..
heehaw

/ brush hog clutch #6  
That slip clutch is just an extension of the drive shaft, and is not a part of, nor brand specific to the cutter. A lot of places sell them , including TSC for about$80-$100.

/ brush hog clutch
the local co-op doesn't have the slip clutches..but a TSC is being built here now...i'm looking forward to some competition in the area.
heehaw

/ brush hog clutch #8  
Agri-Supply sells slip clutches for about $56
Why would someone weld a clutch together?

/ brush hog clutch #9  
Heehaw,

There is a TSC in Fayetteville and I think there is one in Fort smith. Also the atkins in fort smith would probably have what you need.
I know these places are a bit of a drive for you but may be an option if you decide to get a clutch and are headed this way.

Fred

/ brush hog clutch
the clutch has a lip on the front of it, that keeps the clutch disc
from slidding off, then the nut to keep the clutch tight is located on the back. the lip on the front wore off, so there was no way to hold the clutch together. they could have just welded the front plate onto the hub, where the lip was, but instead, they did that, plus welded the clutch together..basicly, there are 2 steel disk, with clutch material between them. the front disk has teeth that fit into the hub, which is what makes everything turn, the back plate is hooked to the drive shaft. so they welded the plates together. so i am using smaller bolts, as shear pins, that hold the drive shaft to the rear plate.."should work"??
heehaw