Brush Hog damage

/ Brush Hog damage #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I spent the first 4 years of my Rhino 5-footer cutter's life dragging the front end of the thing in the ground. The angle was fairly close to what the manual recommended, but I could never figure out how to keep from gouging little ditches in the ground with the leading edge. About a year ago, I changed the height of my tailwheel, thus solving the gouging problem and now getting even better quality of cut.

However, as you can see, I have lost some steal off my deck. Most of the damage was done before, but yesterday I lost another 6" of that little 1" steal apron that is welded on the bottom of the deck sides, at a right angle to the sides. It got caught of something which bent it out, then I caught it on something during transport and it pulled completely off.

Does anyone feel it would be worth trying to get some steal and having it welded on there? I don't own a welder yet, myself.

Attachments

• 423712-Shop Equipment 007.jpg
    423712-Shop Equipment 007.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,106
   / Brush Hog damage #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Does anyone feel it would be worth trying to get some steal and having it welded on there? )</font>

Yes,
That is a very easy fix.

/ Brush Hog damage #3  
Alan,
It is an easy job for a welder. Might as well have them, put new skids on both sides while your at it.

/ Brush Hog damage #4  
Sounds like time to tell the CEO you have to add a welder to your collection of necessary tools. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I had to weld a tear in the rear skirt on mine a couple months ago due to backing into heavy brush and repeatly bending it back and forth.

/ Brush Hog damage #5  
I agree with the other guys; I'd either fix it or get it fixed. Otherwise, eventually you'll either bend or wear off the side skirting.

/ Brush Hog damage #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( time to tell the CEO you have to add a welder to your collection of necessary tools )</font>

Absolutely... I only have a little 115v buzzbox.. but don't know how I lived without it.. Great time to get a welder.

I remember an old timer telling me that the most used tools on a tractor were a big hammer, a prybar, and a smoke wrench.... followed by a big set of sockets or wrenches, and a welder...

Soundguy

/ Brush Hog damage
Looks like a welder is in my future. Of course I'll need some way to cut some steel to weld on there......

/ Brush Hog damage #8  
<font color="blue"> Of course I'll need some way to cut some steel to weld on there...... </font>

You can have it cut to size pretty inexpensively. It can be delivered cut to width in long strips really cheap and to have it cut to predetermined lengths won't cost much more. Steel supply companies do it all the time...especially the smaller ones (larger shops sell to metalworkers with more equipment, generally).

You can do this fix yourself, no problem. But if you haven't done much welding lately make sure you don't practice on your brush hog - much less expensive to buy some extra steel and use that until you are laying down a nice bead /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

/ Brush Hog damage #9  
I do some heavy brush mowing and the first thing I do is reinforce the deck, sides, and back of the mower. The left front corner, as you have taken a pic of takes the most wear of a mower as the blades are slamming the new cuttings into that area. Also I took some 3/8x2 angle along the sides for the mower to slide on. It has given much more life to the mower.

/ Brush Hog damage #10  
<font color="blue"> Of course I'll need some way to cut some steel to weld on there </font>
Alan I bought a metal cutoff (chop) saw for a little over a hundred dollars. You can buy small amounts of new steel fairly reasonably at a steel yard, or even small amounts at a higher price at HD.
I had not welded in over 30 years but bought a Lincoln buzz box at HD several years ago and have made several things plus doing routine repairs. Scrounged up some steel from the scrap pile here at work and practiced first. But did not take too long to get reasonably good results. They won't win any beauty contest, but they hold. Lots of fun as well as being practical. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif