Brush hog driveshaft snapped in 1/2!

/ Brush hog driveshaft snapped in 1/2! #11  
I see you list i Match Quick Hitch. This adds to your draft arms length, so PTO shaft needs to be longer.

Put it back together and mark the safety shield with the cutter on the ground (should be the longest position of the PTO shaft). Then take the PTO shaft off and determine how much overlap you have. You need at least 6"

Did you buy used? Former owner may have cut the PTO shaft too short. Or new? Did seller set it up? Does the owners manual address the PTO shaft set up? My Bush Hog manual does.

/ Brush hog driveshaft snapped in 1/2! #13  
You Possiably could make up the distance with a safety clutch..That would take up the distance, if clutch will fit? Buying another shaft would probably cost less..so..

/ Brush hog driveshaft snapped in 1/2! #14  
Might already have the clutch in the shaft. Or is it shear pins?

/ Brush hog driveshaft snapped in 1/2! #15  
Besides, I think most if not all have a clutch affair to keep the shaft from being damaged when it hits anything. As they said above your shaft pulled out from being over extended. Just slide the smaller back into the bigger.

/ Brush hog driveshaft snapped in 1/2! #16  
Besides, I think most if not all have a clutch affair to keep the shaft from being damaged when it hits anything. As they said above your shaft pulled out from being over extended. Just slide the smaller back into the bigger.

And wait for it to happen again?

/ Brush hog driveshaft snapped in 1/2! #17  
I have a feeling the shaft length did not take into account the extra length necessary when using a quick hitch. Might be able to just add a PTO extender to the tractor's PTO shaft.

/ Brush hog driveshaft snapped in 1/2! #18  
And wait for it to happen again?

Exactly!!! Thanks for saying it...My shaft only has 4 inches make up on the tiller..probably a lot less torque than a bush-beater? It does use a shear bolt for protection...If i torque mine out, or twist-it, i will Buy a longer shaft..I haven't sheared a bolt in my first years uses..But did look into buying the clutch, it was $120.00 at TSC..it looked to add about 3 inches more??l

/ Brush hog driveshaft snapped in 1/2!
Well I think it is the shear bolt that holds it on to the gearbox, one guy said it is an easy fix if I can get my hands inside the plastic bell.