3-Point Hitch Brush hog

/ Brush hog #1  

SeanP

Tractor
Mahindra 2538
A little education for a newbie please - I received a 2538HST when I bought my property a little over a year ago. About 3 acres of my place is a mostly level rough field that takes me half a day to knock down with my zero-turn, which has me looking at brush hogs as a better option for keeping it manageable plus some of the other 20. I’m in farm country and used equipment is fairly easy to find, which generates a couple of questions: are all 3 points the same (will different makes fit the Mahindra?) and are there makes to avoid or should I avoid used entirely?

P.S. closest Mahindra dealer is 1.5 hrs away, but I have pretty much all other dealers within 30 mins.

/ Brush hog #2  
I too have a 2538, and would highly recommend you get a 6 footer rather than a 4-5' wide unit. I have a finish mower, and no brush cutter, so I can't recommend a brand, but I used my neighbor's 6' brush hog once and the tractor handled it very easily.

Only thing you have to remember is the implement is wider than the tractor. (for clearances around trees, stumps, etc)

And this is where you'll really appreciate the PTO gear lever to the left of your seat to put the PTO in neutral. Makes the driveshaft on the brush hog easy to slip onto the PTO spline.

/ Brush hog #3  
A little education for a newbie please - I received a 2538HST when I bought my property a little over a year ago. About 3 acres of my place is a mostly level rough field that takes me half a day to knock down with my zero-turn, which has me looking at brush hogs as a better option for keeping it manageable plus some of the other 20. I’m in farm country and used equipment is fairly easy to find, which generates a couple of questions: are all 3 points the same (will different makes fit the Mahindra?) and are there makes to avoid or should I avoid used entirely?

P.S. closest Mahindra dealer is 1.5 hrs away, but I have pretty much all other dealers within 30 mins.

The 3 point on your tractor is a Cat 1 hitch so use implements designed for Cat 1. I mow 7 acres that is fenced and cross fenced, I opted for a 5’ brush mower because it is same width as the tractor which meant I could mow closer to fence by just watching my tires and not guessing where the mower is. That unit definitely has the power to handle a 6 footer with no problem. I’ve found it easier when mowing the fence line to raise the bucket above fence post for better visibility and less likely to hang a post especially in corners. Good luck and enjoy the tractor. I have zero regrets on buying a 2538.

/ Brush hog #4  
I too have a 2538, and would highly recommend you get a 6 footer rather than a 4-5' wide unit. I have a finish mower, and no brush cutter, so I can't recommend a brand, but I used my neighbor's 6' brush hog once and the tractor handled it very easily.

Only thing you have to remember is the implement is wider than the tractor. (for clearances around trees, stumps, etc)

And this is where you'll really appreciate the PTO gear lever to the left of your seat to put the PTO in neutral. Makes the driveshaft on the brush hog easy to slip onto the PTO spline.

So one thing to be clear on the PTO. Turn the tractor off before installing the PTO shaft, not just put in neutral!

/ Brush hog
Thanks for the input all. Likely will just go get the 5” unit (it reviews better and I like the idea of not having to watch the width so closely. They sell it at Orscheln and since the field is getting out of control I need something ASAP.

Last edited:
   / Brush hog
The 3 point on your tractor is a Cat 1 hitch so use implements designed for Cat 1. I mow 7 acres that is fenced and cross fenced, I opted for a 5’ brush mower because it is same width as the tractor which meant I could mow closer to fence by just watching my tires and not guessing where the mower is. That unit definitely has the power to handle a 6 footer with no problem. I’ve found it easier when mowing the fence line to raise the bucket above fence post for better visibility and less likely to hang a post especially in corners. Good luck and enjoy the tractor. I have zero regrets on buying a 2538.
Since the tractor came with the property I didn’t have a hand in choosing it, but I don’t have any complaints with it except wishing the closest dealer wasn’t so far away. Deere dealer was happy to do the 100 hr service on it though 😀

/ Brush hog #7  
get the 6 ft mower i have both and you will be surprised at how much that extra ft does for you, having the mower wider than your tires allows you to mow closer to objects not the other way around, My 2538 has been a good tractor and i use it hard,

/ Brush hog
get the 6 ft mower i have both and you will be surprised at how much that extra ft does for you, having the mower wider than your tires allows you to mow closer to objects not the other way around, My 2538 has been a good tractor and i use it hard,
So I went looking at what the local tractor dealers had on and then swung by Orscheln only to find out they’d been bought out by TSC. TSC sells CL products, not KingKutter, which is what Orscheln stocked. They had all the KK stuff marked down to move it out, so I got as new 6’ Flex Hitch KK for $1400 - happy with the price, we’ll see how it works out.

/ Brush hog #9  
So I went looking at what the local tractor dealers had on and then swung by Orscheln only to find out they’d been bought out by TSC. TSC sells CL products, not KingKutter, which is what Orscheln stocked. They had all the KK stuff marked down to move it out, so I got as new 6’ Flex Hitch KK for $1400 - happy with the price, we’ll see how it works out.
Sounds like a great deal, and I believe you'll be happy you got the 6 footer, once you use it 2-3 times.

Just a hint, from a guy who uses a 7' finish mower all the time....if you really need to get close to a tree, or other fixed object, pull in front of it, and then back up to mow around one side. Much easier to control the implement while you're looking at it. (I drive left footed in those instances, so I get a better view)

/ Brush hog
Thx