Brush Hoggin' - New Rocks found with Red Ants

/ Brush Hoggin' - New Rocks found with Red Ants #1  

Altex

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 3400 HST
Do Red Ants push up Rocks? The rocks are usually flatter 2" to 3" thick, but up to 10" diameter. And I've hit them.

I've been at it only a couple of years but I haven't noticed so many rocks before. The new grass (1" or 1.5") was just starting to come up in the pastures, so I Brushed Hogged to cut the old dry grass (5" or 6") down just before it rained hard last week.

I hit alot of rocks and don't remember so many being there. Almost every time I hit a rock and stopped to move it, I saw a Red Ants nearby. I think those critters moved those rocks up, over the winter. And the drought hasn't helped.

I guess you should really walk the pasture before the first mowing of the year. I know if you've got tons of acres it wouldn't be feasable. But, do some of you walk before you cut? I'm not talking about new land, just the same land you cut last year.

/ Brush Hoggin' - New Rocks found with Red Ants #2  
no, ants don't bring up rocks. Rocks to tend to grow it seems. As dirt weathers away the large stones stay. Look at the plateaus of mexico. At one time the earth was at that level and it weathered and washed away leaving deep canyons.
I have the same thing going on in my garden. I swear they lay rockeggs and hatch a new flock each spring.

/ Brush Hoggin' - New Rocks found with Red Ants #3  
A freeze thaw cycle will bring rocks to the surface. :D

/ Brush Hoggin' - New Rocks found with Red Ants #4  
With the snow pack starting to melt I see a whole new crop of rocks waiting for me ;). Jay :D

/ Brush Hoggin' - New Rocks found with Red Ants #5  
A freeze thaw cycle will bring rocks to the surface. :D

Texans don't know what freeze though cycles are. We should invite them up to the northeast for a seminar on rock farming.:D

/ Brush Hoggin' - New Rocks found with Red Ants #6  
One can tell by your avatar that you are set up in the "Small Rock Farm" business!:D:D

/ Brush Hoggin' - New Rocks found with Red Ants #7  
Do Red Ants push up Rocks? The rocks are usually flatter 2" to 3" thick, but up to 10" diameter. And I've hit them.

I've been at it only a couple of years but I haven't noticed so many rocks before. The new grass (1" or 1.5") was just starting to come up in the pastures, so I Brushed Hogged to cut the old dry grass (5" or 6") down just before it rained hard last week.

I hit alot of rocks and don't remember so many being there. Almost every time I hit a rock and stopped to move it, I saw a Red Ants nearby. I think those critters moved those rocks up, over the winter. And the drought hasn't helped.

I guess you should really walk the pasture before the first mowing of the year. I know if you've got tons of acres it wouldn't be feasable. But, do some of you walk before you cut? I'm not talking about new land, just the same land you cut last year.

How's this for a theory.

Ants like finding rocks just under the soil and burrowing under them. This space under the rocks makes more room for water which in turn would speed up the heave caused by the freeze and thaw cycle.

/ Brush Hoggin' - New Rocks found with Red Ants #8  

In my neck of the woods the ants are not a problem. I have seen gophers setting up hazards though.
I use my ATV with a trailer attached to drive slowly around the fields to pick up the stuff that find.

/ Brush Hoggin' - New Rocks found with Red Ants
How's this for a theory.

Ants like finding rocks just under the soil and burrowing under them. This space under the rocks makes more room for water which in turn would speed up the heave caused by the freeze and thaw cycle.

You're right! That's why. This Winter has been mostly very dry. There has been some days (5 or 6) of freezing rain and maybe a couple that snowed. But, I really think this is the reason, the Red Ants causing space under those rocks, then the freeze lifting those rocks.

Here in Texas we're not like y'all up North with the continuous freeze moving rocks everywhere. It doesn't freeze so much here (plus the drought this winter), so the soil is very compact and hard, not like up there.

I'm pretty sure the rocks won't move by freeze alone 'cause we don't get many freeze or rain days for that matter. That's why when I hit rocks, Red Ants every time! They're making caves under those rocks that got filled with water and the times it did freeze, it moved those rocks.

"And now you know ...the rest of the story!"

Thanks dangerdoc!