Brush hogging????

/ Brush hogging???? #12  
I would think a tow behind unit with its own power source would be OK. It should leave the stuff behind you and you already own the tow unit.

From my own experience with my Power Trac with the brush hog out in front with a front discharge; I was surprised how little stuff came back on me. However, when I cleaned the tractor, there was lots of stuff to remove off of the front and that is where I would have caught the itchy stuff. But I didn't even though I mowed lots of poison ivy.

With my IH2500b the brush hog was a 5' 3pt unit. I never got stuff on me from the cutter, just had to drive through the stuff to get it to the cutter, or spend the day backing into everything with my neck strained. That's what I didn't like about the rear mount cutter and what drove me to the PT.

/ Brush hogging???? #13  
OK, Paul!! I'm glad Thomas brought up the 8N!! Of course he's right!! The best machine for brush hogging is an 8N or a Feguson. You can get one pretty cheap in our area, neighbor!! Pick up the Want Ad Digest!! That's where I got my Fergy!!

/ Brush hogging????
Rich,
Went to look at a 9n yesterday. Wanted WAY to much for it. $2500 for a real tired, brush painted tractor. $1500 and I would have talked to him. I don't mind tired, but I am not going to pay a ton for it./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[ya, OK, I'm cheap/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif]

/ Brush hogging????
I'm looking. I would like to get a old Fergie like yours. You get the look of the old Fords, but a little more advanced. They do seem to run about 2grand more then the Fords though.

/ Brush hogging???? #17  
Paul, I got my Fergie almost 2 years ago from an ad in the Want Ad Digest for $3200, with a 5' 3ph snow blower. I haven't picked up a WAD in a couple of weeks, but there were a few Fergies in there about 2 weeks ago. I'll keep a lookout for one for you!

/ Brush hogging???? #18  
Maybe you can tell by my handle that I am partial to old Fords. I have an 8N that I acquired about 18 months ago for $2500 - that included a pretty good 5 ft. brush hog. It was rebuilt with a recent paint job, but not truly restored. I prefer the 8N over the 9N or 2N since it has draft control and 4 speeds versus 3 speeds. They are easy to work on, and I am amazed at what the hog will shred. I have 18 acres of woods with about a half mile of roads running through that I maintain with it. I have a lot of poison ivy that I run over and have never been bothered by it when hoggin', even though I am fairly sensitive to it otherwise. If you get one, be sure to get the overrunning coupler so it won't push you into a tree or fence. Best money I ever spent, but I still want a little orange tractor with FEL.

/ Brush hogging???? #19  
In my business we deal with Poison Ivy some. I go to the local drug store and buy a cream that keeps the poison Ivy off you. Its kinda like a sunblock but its Ivyblock.