Flail Mower Brush Removal Strategy

/ Brush Removal Strategy #21  
i would look at a used brush hog $600-800 range 4' probably for your 1026 - 5' likely a bit big.

Also you can raise it up and back over brush cutting it down to size.

I concur with Carl_NH that a 48" 'hog is the right width for your JD-1026R subcompact. My Kubota is one size larger than your Deere but I pull a 48" King Kutter because 48" is so maneuverable. I mow over 1-1/4" diameter vines routinely....but use the RR, which is usually mounted simultaneously with the KK, for anything larger.

The rest of my implements are 60".

I like my equipment to be designed with the KISS principle [KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID] and a 48" 'hog is about as simple as any machine imaginable. Aside from checking the gearbox lube twice per year, practically no maintenance. Most users go years without attention to the blades provided operators are careful about avoiding protruding rocks.

I found my KK derelict in the weeds. I replaced $300 in missing parts and it has been fine. KISS.

Attachments

• IMG_0496.jpg
    IMG_0496.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
   / Brush Removal Strategy #22  
Sheep will do as almost as well as goats for keeping weeds down. Personally I would rather have sheep around.

/ Brush Removal Strategy #23  
had a problem with mowing hawthorn. couldn't keep up with the flats. made a set of tracks for the tractor and that was the end of it. sure made a difference on going across soft ground. Built them in one weekend, saved me a lot of money.

/ Brush Removal Strategy #24  
If you want to take out bushes and saplings you could also consider a tree shear and grapple. Your tractor is so small that brute forcing it into the woods is liable to tear it up. The underbelly of your machine is full of hoses and tubing that can tear loose in a jiffy.

/ Brush Removal Strategy #25  
Out here in WA you can rent goats. They come in do some basic clearing and then set up temporary fence.