Bucket Forks - Can't find the thread I am looking for...

/ Bucket Forks - Can't find the thread I am looking for... #1  

jrdepew

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1920, JD LT180
A while back there was a thread on DIY bucket forks where the owner had a fixed pair of pallet forks. He would mount these to his bucket by sliding them in, and the top of the forks would catch on a lip. Due to the shape of the forks (the angle between the uprights that caught the lip and the forks themselves was acute -- less than 90 degrees), they would essentially be wedged in the bucket and he could use them. When done he could set the bucket on the ground and slide them out sideways again.

I have a similar idea and REALLY wanted to find this thread. I searched for everything I could imagine using site:tractorbynet.com on google but came up empty handed. I remember he had to post pics of them a few times as some members were confused how they stayed in his bucket.

Any help here? I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Joe

/ Bucket Forks - Can't find the thread I am looking for... #4  
May have been mine. Heres an an old graphic of the forks before they were made. Cant seem to find the finished pics. I'll try to find the thread.

Attachments

• forks4.jpg
    forks4.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 188
   / Bucket Forks - Can't find the thread I am looking for... #5  

Attachments

• 79940d1182863757-forks-my-fel-forks-down-jpg.jpg
    79940d1182863757-forks-my-fel-forks-down-jpg.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 79939d1182863721-forks-my-fel-forks-fitted-jpg.jpg
    79939d1182863721-forks-my-fel-forks-fitted-jpg.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 79938d1182863694-forks-my-fel-forks-off-jpg.jpg
    79938d1182863694-forks-my-fel-forks-off-jpg.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 141
   / Bucket Forks - Can't find the thread I am looking for...
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/102060-forks-my-fel-4.html

These still get regular use. As mentioned back in the original thread they were way over-engineered and could have been half the weight. (They are made from very heavy rectangular tube). They look long but the length is about right.

These are the ones!! Thanks for the pics and if I end up going this route I will be sure to post build pictures. Do the forks just catch on the plates you welded on to the top bar of the bucket? Or are they there just as extra insurance?

/ Bucket Forks - Can't find the thread I am looking for...
Great responses guys, all of these ideas are great and got me thinking!

/ Bucket Forks - Can't find the thread I am looking for... #8  
These are the ones!! Thanks for the pics and if I end up going this route I will be sure to post build pictures. Do the forks just catch on the plates you welded on to the top bar of the bucket? Or are they there just as extra insurance?

I push the forks into the bucket then slide them sideways behind the plates. The plates are essential for practicality and safety. Without the plates the forks would pull straight out. For example, if i was backing out from a pallet that was on the ground, the forks would get left behind. And they stop the forks falling out if the bucket is pointing down.

/ Bucket Forks - Can't find the thread I am looking for... #9  
Could you weld a piece of steel where the back of the forks would be in the bucket. On the forks, leave a lip on the back. Slide each fork in separately under the piece of steel welded in place and let the rear lip on the fork keep it from pulling out.

May not work. Just a thought.