Bucket Hooks Bucket Hooks...Again

/ Bucket Hooks...Again #31  
Paul, Nick.....Thanks....I'll check into these sites. But, if you don't mind these nagging thoughts, up pops another issue that I just thought of. What size grab hooks do you and everyone else use? Are hooks that accommodate 3/8" tow chain satisfactory or maybe I should say optimal? I'm thinking anything bigger than this is overkill anyway since the working load limits of the chain and hooks would far exceed the lift capacity of the FEL and bucket. You think the hooks for a 3/8" tow chain are sufficient for a JD460 FEL with anticipated uses of restraining bulky, heavy loads and pulling/plucking moderately sized honeysuckle and other swamp bushes?

/ Bucket Hooks...Again #32  
I just discussed this with my dealer last week. He wanted to put 5/16" hooks on, as he said most people use that size chain on CUTs. But I insisted on 3/8". That way I can use either size chain in the hooks, otherwise I would be limited to the smaller size. I can't imagine needing anything larger than 3/8" ever. When he delivered the tractor Saturday, he said the more he thought about it, the better idea it was. I'm very happy with how they turned out.

--Brad

/ Bucket Hooks...Again #33  
Thanks Brad. The 3/8" is exactly what I was thinking as well...5/16" sounds awfully small.

/ Bucket Hooks...Again #34  
Rancar,I used 5/16" for mine as I have mostly that size chain and My loader can only handle 885 lbs. The chain is rated for 4700 lbs. so I think they are fine. I put mine on the outside corners and they have worked out great. (See attached photo)

Attachments

• 5-120624-buckethooks.jpg
    5-120624-buckethooks.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 173
   / Bucket Hooks...Again #35  
Bob, here's my pic. I also have 5/16" grab hooks welded to my loader bucket. Plenty strong enough for me too.

A 3/8" hook will work out good using both a 5/16" and 3/8" link chain. A 5/16" chain is little easier to handle.
I always use a 3/8" chain when pulling from the drawbar though.

DFB

Attachments

• 5-120653-chainhooks.jpg
    5-120653-chainhooks.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 210
   / Bucket Hooks...Again #36  
Rancar, I wouldn't worry about where they're made, BUT I worried about the steel grade. I did some shopping around and found some grade 80 grab hooks with clevis pin link on the end. I torch cut the clevis pin end off of the hook and then welded it on. I found my hooks at a local equipment rental store where they handle chains and binders for trailering equipment.

/ Bucket Hooks...Again #37  
Bird,
What exactly did you bolt on to the FEL to attach the hooks?
David

/ Bucket Hooks...Again #38  
David, I drilled a couple of holes in the top of my bucket on each side and put U-bolts in, with a single chain link and the hooks attached to that.

/ Bucket Hooks...Again #39  
DFB,

Thanks. This is exactly the type of picture I'm looking for that I want to show the dealer...great close-up pic./w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

Bob

/ Bucket Hooks...Again #40  
I order a lot from MSC too. If you call them up and ask for it, they'll send you a CDROM which has the entire big book on it. Sure beats downloading PDF's of their catalog pages, which is slow even on a fast connection.

What blows me away is how _fast_ they are. I've ordered adapters and fittings which nobody else had, placed the order at 4PM, and got delivery the next day. By UPS ground, not express.

Timd