Bucket Is Slipping Under Load

/ Bucket Is Slipping Under Load #11  
Down but not up...I guess I don't understand:confused:

Maybe I can help explain what GreenGrass is saying. With the bucked dumped and a heavy weight hanging off the back of the bucket (the force of the weight trying to curl the bucket), the bucket holds the weight. With the bucket curled and a small amount of weight in the bucket, the bucket will bleed off and dump the load.

/ Bucket Is Slipping Under Load #12  
Is it odd that the bucket leaks down but not up.??

Also, I see no evidence of a leak at all. Can you have a leak that is not apparent to the naked eye.??

Yes, you can have internal leaks that you will never see. Such as, if the fluid are leaking past the piston seals in the cyl.

Gravity is the answer. Buckets or lift cyl can not lift with out power, but can drop under the weight of the system.

I should clarify this. If the piston seals are leaking, and if the geometry is such that the weight is pulling on the cyl shaft, then the shaft will extend. If the geometry is such that the weight is pushing on the shaft, from an extended position, then the shaft will retract.

There is danger in a system that leaks down as you indicated by someones bucket dumping a load of wood. What if a kid were playing around the tractor.

For safety reasons, FEL should not be left in the raised position.

As Jinman said, do the bucket cyl test and prove to your satisfaction, whether it is the cyl leaking.

Even new valves leak to some degree, and as they begin to wear, the drop down is to be expected, and you have to live with it or replace the leaking components. You could add pilot operated check valves in the cyl circuits, to compensate for the leaking valve, but it tends to slow things down.

You could take the cyl to a hyd shop and get them to do a load test for leakage. They should be able to pressurize the cyl and tell you if it is leaking. If you let them fix it, have them test if after new seals have been installed.

Always get an estimate for labor and ask is there a min time you have to pay. If you don't like their fee, then you can order the seal kit and do it yourself.

Do you have one cyl or two for curl?

Last edited:
   / Bucket Is Slipping Under Load
Thanks everyone for taking the time to think this through for me.

The bucket has 2 curl cylinders.

I may have time to do a test this weekend.

There are no safety issues with the bucket slipping. I rarely have the bucket high at idle or stop.

I used the bucket to move 16 yards of gravel when I restored my driveway a couple of weeks ago. The problem is not evident when working the bucket in this manner and I am certain wouldn't notice a problem when the snow flies.

Is this a problem that deserves immediate attention.?? Or, can it go to the middle of the priority list around the house.??

/ Bucket Is Slipping Under Load #14  
I used the bucket to move 16 yards of gravel when I restored my driveway a couple of weeks ago. The problem is not evident when working the bucket in this manner and I am certain wouldn't notice a problem when the snow flies.

Is this a problem that deserves immediate attention.?? Or, can it go to the middle of the priority list around the house.??

I say leave it alone. Mine has been acting like that since day 1. You rarely if ever NEED to leave the bucket up in the air and have it stay...

/ Bucket Is Slipping Under Load
I say leave it alone. Mine has been acting like that since day 1. You rarely if ever NEED to leave the bucket up in the air and have it stay...

That eases my mind.

Like I said, the bucket is 100% when being worked. I just didn't want neglect to lead to a bigger problem.

/ Bucket Is Slipping Under Load #16  
As with kennyd, my curl cylinders and lift cylinders leak slightly on my New Holland. It's getting a bit more with age, but I never bother with it unless I'm using my grapple to hold a tree trunk off the ground while bucking it to size with my chainsaw. I have to give the FEL a touch ever once in awhile just to keep the bucket from sagging. By the time I have 2500 hours on my tractor, it may be time for a new seal kit. Right now at 1600 hours, its not that big of an issue.:)

/ Bucket Is Slipping Under Load #17  
GoodAfternoon,
I had the exact same problem with mine (4520), returned it to the dealer and it was determined that one cylinder had a bad 'check valve'. Replaced the cylinder and now everyone is happy.
Wish you luck with yours,
Jim

/ Bucket Is Slipping Under Load #18  
GoodAfternoon,
I had the exact same problem with mine (4520), returned it to the dealer and it was determined that one cylinder had a bad 'check valve'. Replaced the cylinder and now everyone is happy.
Wish you luck with yours,
Jim

Loader cylinders do not have "check valves" in them.

/ Bucket Is Slipping Under Load #19