Bucket level indicator rod---useful?

/ Bucket level indicator rod---useful? #11  
After some 17 years I finally bent the bucket leveling rod/indicator. Remember looking at the assembly the day I bought the machine thinking it wouldn’t survive. Guess I wont miss it. Made no practical difference on piles of aggregates till I got to the very bottom and then the ground rarely was level anyway.

Am I missing the boat here? Anyone find these things to be indispensable?

My bucket level indicator (OEM supplied) is a piece of flat bar welded on the bucket with the top section parallel with the bucket bottom. I find it quite useful. Do not think I would like the system you show in your photos. Seems like overkill to me. All I need to know is the angle of the bottom of the bucket, at whatever the slope is when I am using the tractor...

I assume these linkage types of indicators just show when the bucket is parallel with the horizontal axis or the tractor? If so, my simple indicator works just as well. IF they would actually show true level of the bucket, regardless of the angle the tractor is sitting at, I cannot see how that would be useful at all for anything I do. Ignorant about how what you refer to actually works...

/ Bucket level indicator rod---useful? #12  
My bucket level indicator (OEM supplied) is a piece of flat bar welded on the bucket with the top section parallel with the bucket bottom. I find it quite useful. Do not think I would like the system you show in your photos. Seems like overkill to me. All I need to know is the angle of the bottom of the bucket, at whatever the slope is when I am using the tractor...

I assume these linkage types of indicators just show when the bucket is parallel with the horizontal axis or the tractor? If so, my simple indicator works just as well. IF they would actually show true level of the bucket, regardless of the angle the tractor is sitting at, I cannot see how that would be useful at all for anything I do. Ignorant about how what you refer to actually works...
And that is what it is all about, parallel axis.... Does not matter if tractor is on "level" ground or on a hill facing up or down hill.........

When rod is even with end of tube, flat of bucket bottom is in same plane as tractor wheels.... IF rod it down in tube front cutting edge of bucket is down, digging in, if rod is above end of tube front edge of bucket is up and sliding above surface...

dsc01708-3-jpg.675975

/ Bucket level indicator rod---useful? #13  
For me it’s handy to get it close to level but it’s not exact.

/ Bucket level indicator rod---useful? #14  
Could you just mark the side of the rod where you could see it with a different color paint marker for the forks and the grapple for a level reference?
That could be a good idea. I've got about 65 hrs on that tractor and haven't bothered to set it once but have noticed it's different for each attachment.

/ Bucket level indicator rod---useful? #15  
Use mine all the time. I wrapped tape on the rod where my forks are level. Been using it for 10 years now and really like it.

Jeff

/ Bucket level indicator rod---useful? #16  
Very useful. One negative for a Kubota B.

/ Bucket level indicator rod---useful? #17  
My Kubota one has a "bump" in it so you can see the bucket is "level" everytime. Rod is adjustable.
I find rod makes using a fork real easy since you quickly will know if the tines are going to dig in like a spear.

/ Bucket level indicator rod---useful? #18  
My rod is a camera. Can't beat it. I have a rod too. Never use it unless I don't have the camera on.

/ Bucket level indicator rod---useful? #19  
I bought one with my fel years ago but have never really used it. It's on the loader but I don't ever look at it to see if the bucket is "level". I used the top edge of the bucket and find that to be a lot more useful as an indicator. If I ever buy a new loader I won't bother with a "level" indicator. It doesn't tell you that the bucket is level with the ground. It tells you that the bucket is parallel to the tractor tires. Most days that is pretty useless information.

/ Bucket level indicator rod---useful? #20  

This is my method. If I have the bucket 8' off the ground I can use the flat bar top as a gauge to see it the bucket is parallel to the ground. The rod only works if the bucket is on the ground and the flat bar works fine for that too.