Posthole Digger bucket mounted posthole digger?

/ bucket mounted posthole digger? #11  
I have a 3pt setup which works ok but I've shopped hydraulic units that bucket mount and I think they are far superior. (Also cost more $1200 or so). The reverse and downpressure are the selling points. the unit I looked at while tractor shopping mounted with quick connects from the bucket tilt hoses. you didn't need and more hookups, you just lost the tilt ability and used that position to power the auger. Seems pretty simple. My only question to all is with all this downpressure talk wouldn't you tend to shear a lot of bolts?? Or do you use harder bolts grade 5 or 8??

/ bucket mounted posthole digger? #12  
Harv,

The price was (gulp....) $1700 with a 9" HD auger with 1 welded side mount and hoses installed. The 2" shaft on the augur is attached to the drive with a 5/8" grade 5 bolt which has never broken. When the auger hits something hard it stops, and the hydraulic relief valve opens. Get the HD auger bit, did I say get the HD auger bit, Oh, by the way, Get the Heavy duty auger bit... My contractor bent up 3 cheap ones in a year. His HD bit has lasted 6 years of comercial service.

The dealer in Newcastle/Auburn CA did the work. I am having them modify the Backhoe mount (whick they made) hydraulics so it will use the bucket curl in sted of the Top and Tilt. They are very talented but way busy... you have to wait sometimes for things that are nice to have. I must say that when I broke the main hudraulic pickup tube, they fixed it immediately to get me going. They also made and installed the 4:1 bucket. FYI// They will service your tractor at your residence for a minimal fee. You should be close enough. I hear mixed reviews about their level of customer service, but they have done excellent work for me.

As far as having a 'big' tractor... We all have tractor envy... The wife about died when she caught me looking at 8WD articulated tractors (just for fun). She happily has no real idea why I have a tractor other than it is a toy to keep me busy and not thinking about work. OBTW, Look at the picture above of what the neighbor brought by to move a little dirt...

/ bucket mounted posthole digger? #13  
Roger -

$1700 -- YIKES!!!

I might just be using my 2-wooden handle digger longer than I thought! /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

That's a terrific picture (albeit a little large) -- I guess size really is relative. What I like best about the picture, though, is that it really shows some detail in your machine -- 4-in-1 bucket, extra hydraulic controls, etc.

Not to beat this "size" thing to death, but I think if I put your bucket on my li'l 2500, I wouldn't be able to get it off the ground. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Is this Auburn dealer nice to you 'cuz you bought your tractor from him, or is he just a standup kinda guy?

XMasSig.gif

/ bucket mounted posthole digger? #14  
Harv,

Probably a little of both. I do buy stuff which means they don't mind spending time with me to explain stuff. I am reasonably mechanincal, but I had only used a CatD2 crawler orchard tractor before I boght a L4310. Here is an example of why they like to see me show up. Yesterday I went in to pick up a bracket that they welded and ended up ordering a 3PH log splitter and making a service appt to modify some hydraulic connections... I guess they should smile whenever I drive up. The dealer's name is Gold Country Kubota on Ophir Rd in Newcastle (west of Auburn on I80). They sell Kubota and John Deere and just about every implement brand I have heard of... Wayne is one of the owners and the primary person I deal with. He is very knowledgeable about what is available and how to set up the machine for easy use. In other words... he recomends something that will work great and I pay the big bill. When I use the machine and the dust settles I have always been very happy with his recomendataion and then the cycle starts again... He recomends, ...

GCK is deffinitely a family operation, which for this type of business isn't a bad thing. They have been around a long time and sell a ton of tractors. They remind me of the boat shop my parents used to own while I was growing up.

I would recomend them to anybody.

/ bucket mounted posthole digger?
Hi Roger,

Been reading your comments with interest. I'm putting together a JD4700 deal....do you know if McMillen makes a hyd. auger that will work on a JD48 backhoe?
[ I've searched the net, and found a couple dealers, but McM. has neither an e-mail nor a website. I have their ph. # though (800/234-0964), and will try to call tomorrow... just thought I'd ask you today anyway!]

Although the McM. is certainly not cheap, several Danuser F-8 owners have piped-up here, and those things(new) aint cheap either!! :)

The backhoe/hydraulic rig sounds like the way to go for placement and control, if you can swallow the cost.

Thanks,

Larry

/ bucket mounted posthole digger? #16  
Hi Larry,

The McMillen auger should work with any backhoe. You need to remove the backhoe bucket and use a special bracket to attach the hydraulic power unit to the backhoe dipper arm in place of the bucket.

My dealer made the backhoe mount from 1' steel stock with 1" steel pins. Any welding shop should be able to make one. The prefered hydraulic connection is made by putting quick disconnects on the bucket cylinder lines near the bucket and connecting the auger power head to the bucket cylinder lines in sted of the bucket. The bucket curl will then control the direction and speed of the auger from the backhoe seat.

Good luck on the JD4700 hunt...

Roger,

My 4700 literature shows hydraulic pump capacity as follows:
implement-10.3gpm/steering 5gpm/max total 15.3 gpm.

I am hydraulically-illiterate... how does this compare with your unit? Do you think the JD capacity will operate the McMillen auger adequately?

Thanks again,

Larry

.... system pressure of 2500 psi. (JD4700)

/ bucket mounted posthole digger? #20  
Larry,

It should be OK. I use mine on a Kubota L4310 which has ~7-8 GPM of implement flow. Here are some details (mfg phone#, specs, and a toll free number).

McMillen Construction Equipment Attachements
Phone 800-234-0964 or 219-747-6750
4419 Ardmore Ave.
Fort Wayne, Indiana 46809

Specs: McMillen model X450
Minimum Hydraulic Flow 5GPM, Maximum 10GPM
Max Hydraulic Pressure is 3000lbs

GPM = RPM
5 = 65
6 = 78
7 = 91
8 = 104
9 = 117
10 = 130

The dealer told me you need at least 85-90RPM under no load to spin/shake the dirt off the auger once it is out of the hole. I rarely use full speed while digging (it digs to fast).

Torque is specified as follows:

PSI = Torque (ft/lbs)
2000 = 470
2100 = 493
2200 = 516
2300 = 540
2400 = 563
2500 = 587
2600 = 610
2700 = 634
2800 = 657
2900 = 681
3000 = 704

I do not have a clue how these specs compare with a PTO driven auger. One nice thing I see is the specs are basically independant of your tractors PTO horsepower and size as long as the flow and psi are within the ranges stated. Not sure if it really matters though since high horsepower will just break shear bolts.

My owners manual shows that McMillen offers a complete set of mounting options (Skid Steer, Backhoe, under or side Bucket, 3PH, 3PH with downforce). FYI// This is the smallest unit McMillen makes. It looks like most of their stuff is for full size backhoes and excavators.

Hope this helps. It sure feels good to contribute something to this board. I have been lurking (I mean learning) for a ~1 year.