Bucket pins/bushing issue

/ Bucket pins/bushing issue #11  
I can't imagine how a top link pin got in there. Dad hasn't got a clue, he says. But then again, my dad's memory is spotty and it sounds like one of his "git 'er done" quicky fixes. On the other side, it looks like the pin is the proper one...and it's just snapped off. The linch pin is still in. I have no idea how the bucket is hanging on. I'm scared spitless to use the **** thing now.
Looking at that picture, the holes that the pin is going through should line up with the holes in the bushing on the bucket (so that the pin turns with the bucket), that pin should be able to be driven out, then clean out the old grease, add fresh grease, then put the pin back in (or put a new pin in).
On the other side, that looks like a 3/4" toplink pin in the hole that is supposed to take a 1" loader pin.

Aaron Z

/ Bucket pins/bushing issue
Yeah, I'm going to head down to the dealership and get their take on it. Either get a couple of new pins and try to hammer the old ones out and slide the new ones in....or just let them take the entire tractor and give it the once-over so I know there aren't any more surprises waiting for me. Judging by the overall condition of the bucket, I'd be tempted to ask about the price of a new one.

/ Bucket pins/bushing issue #13  
Don't get too exited. Just punch the old pins out. Use a big hammer. Replace the pins with ordinary bolts and lock nuts. That will work just fine.

The retaining springs/clips on the proper pins do get lost, damaged or just dissapears. The bolt, locknut and washers will take a lot of abuse.

Some of pins may be drilled and have a zerk fitted to the end. These need proper replacement.

Don't get too exited. Just punch the old pins out. Use a big hammer. Replace the pins with ordinary bolts and lock nuts. That will work just fine.

After hanging around the forums for a while and reading thousands of responses to hundreds of problems - the "use a big hammer" solution seems to be a cure-all for a lot of them. I'll just soak the one down in WD-40 overnight and see if I can dislodge it. The trick will be to get the holes lined up afterwards. Say, maybe I'll use another big hammer and a iron bar!

/ Bucket pins/bushing issue #15  
You need to make a drift:
that's a length of correct sized pin with one end fairly well tapered so that alignment is not very critical.
You first drive in the drift and once the holes are aligned you follow with the actual pin which in turn pushes out the drift.

My snow plow setup calls for removing my bucket and a drift sure makes annual re installation a snap.

/ Bucket pins/bushing issue #16  
Ok, this doesn't look right. I noticed that the bucket pins on Dad's LA480 loader look wrong.
One pin was just held in by the linch pin and the other looks like it's snapped off. And they look different sizes, to boot. As you can tell, I'm a total tractor newbie. I take it there's a bushing in the holes, and a pin is inserted into the bushing and pinned into place. So what the heck is this?

That looks a lot like my LA680 loader setup. Mine takes 1" diameter pins. One end has a grease fitting recessed into it like in the first picture and the other end has a 1/4" hole in it. That's where a 1/4" bolt with a lock nut that slides through the bucket bushing. The 1/4" bolts keeps the pins in place.

Before I got my SSQA I replaced those original pins with new ones. I used Kroil to loosen them up and I just drove them out with a piece of 1" round stock I had laying around. I cleaned the inside of the bushings well before putting in the new pins.

/ Bucket pins/bushing issue #17  
You need to make a drift:
that's a length of correct sized pin with one end fairly well tapered so that alignment is not very critical.
You first drive in the drift and once the holes are aligned you follow with the actual pin which in turn pushes out the drift.

My snow plow setup calls for removing my bucket and a drift sure makes annual re installation a snap.

That looks a lot like my LA680 loader setup. Mine takes 1" diameter pins. One end has a grease fitting recessed into it like in the first picture and the other end has a 1/4" hole in it. That's where a 1/4" bolt with a lock nut that slides through the bucket bushing. The 1/4" bolts keeps the pins in place.

Before I got my SSQA I replaced those original pins with new ones. I used Kroil to loosen them up and I just drove them out with a piece of 1" round stock I had laying around. I cleaned the inside of the bushings well before putting in the new pins.

Excellent advice.

Went to Kubota and ordered a set of pins. Talked about replacing the actual bucket itself - but apparently Kubota doesn't make an OEM bucket to fit on the LA 480 loader anymore. Will try to look around for some kind of generic/aftermarket one from a Canadian source.

/ Bucket pins/bushing issue #19  
You might also look at the cost of converting to skid steer quick attach, that would make it easier to switch you over to say forks on the front. Used skid steer compatible buckets can often be had for less than a OEM bucket.

Aaron Z

/ Bucket pins/bushing issue #20  

After hanging around the forums for a while and reading thousands of responses to hundreds of problems - the "use a big hammer" solution seems to be a cure-all for a lot of them. I'll just soak the one down in WD-40 overnight and see if I can dislodge it. The trick will be to get the holes lined up afterwards. Say, maybe I'll use another big hammer and a iron bar!

The big hammer cause it works. It Dosen't require the fast swing of a small hammer. Makes it easier to hit your drift. Small hammers tend to be good for peening but time to break lose some rust they don't cut it.

Just a bolt slightly smaller than the holes will work well for driving out the old pin. A lineing bar makes getting the holes lined up easier. Heavy screw driver, plier handle etc will also work. Be aware they may break.

There are proper lining bars. Tapered punches are really not made for prying.
[video]https://www.google.ca/search?q=structural+steel+alignment+bar&client=safari&hl=en-ca&prmd=imsvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi96MeRlv7RAhUD44MKHYgvBgUQ_AUIBygB&biw=1024&bih=681#imgrc=HGjCzkPURPbYhM:[/video]

For the bucket improve the existing one rather than buying new. Weld on a thicker wider cutting edge, also add some to the vertical sides and put several pieces on the bottom for skid wear. Do this and it will be better than new.

From the looks of the paint on the bucket it may be just fine.

Last edited: