Bucket rolled backwards

/ Bucket rolled backwards #1  

Kfbeal

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 JD 5103
On our tractor recently, we were burning pasture and the bucket was used with bucket rolled down pushing forwards to put out run away flames. Evidently they went too far down to the ground and rolled the bucket backwards and looks like a limp noodle.

It now will not curl up, but you can drive backwards and push the main arms down and it will flatten out. But, once you lift it up, it falls back down. Before tearing into this, has anyone had this happen and what was the fix?

Is the internal past the pressure hose line and just needs to have the hoses removed and arms pushed back in, or will we need to rebuild the cylinders?

Thanks in advance!

/ Bucket rolled backwards #2  
I'm not sure I understand the condition?

You have no bucket curl pressure in either direction?? Bucket just hangs loosely when lifted off the ground?

Would be odd that both cylinders failed at the same time. More likely a valve problem?

To test the cylinders, set the bucket down flat on the ground. Shut the tractor off and wiggle the joystick both directions in the curl function to relieve any pressure. Uncouple the curl hoses. Lift the FEL. Bucket should stay relatively flat. Some movement would be expected. If it still hangs loosely then the cylinders are bypassing internally. If it holds then the problem is at your valve.

/ Bucket rolled backwards #3  
Time to rebuild the cylinders- if nothing is bent. Chain the bucket up or lay it flat on the ground. Once it that position the cylinders should be fairly easy to pull off.

/ Bucket rolled backwards #4  
It sounds like you have pulled the rod out of the piston in one of the curl cylinders. An internal nut holds the rod connected and it can be stripped by the huge forces available when pushing with the bucket edge downward.

/ Bucket rolled backwards #5  
Maybe pulled the nuts off the rod behind the piston.

Bruce

/ Bucket rolled backwards #6  
Try the hose test before disassembling a cylinder, just in case....

/ Bucket rolled backwards
Boy, you guys sure aren't the bearers of good news. I'll hopefully get a chance to look at it this weekend. I do have a seal kit but won't do much good if the nuts are blown off. I guess it's safe to say the threads may be damaged on the rod if so?

I'm not sure I understand the condition?

You have no bucket curl pressure in either direction?? Bucket just hangs loosely when lifted off the ground?

Would be odd that both cylinders failed at the same time. More likely a valve problem?

To test the cylinders, set the bucket down flat on the ground. Shut the tractor off and wiggle the joystick both directions in the curl function to relieve any pressure. Uncouple the curl hoses. Lift the FEL. Bucket should stay relatively flat. Some movement would be expected. If it still hangs loosely then the cylinders are bypassing internally. If it holds then the problem is at your valve.

Yes, with the bucket flat and lifting the main arms, the buckets droops down with lip staying on the ground as if you're dumping the load.

Just got home and the bucket doesn’t roll back flat willingly. If I have it flat and lift the main arms up the bucket uncurls.

If I put downward tension on the bucket, it will curl it back a little at a time as long as there’s downward pressure. Once I raise it up, the bucket falls again.

I’m baffled.