Bucket Teeth/Home Made?

/ Bucket Teeth/Home Made? #11  
YukonKing said:
Plus it will trully tell me if I should have bought her "implants' or just "dentures".

YukonKing

Well, I think your implants will be a bucket of grief instead of bucket teeth. If the teeth stick out very far in front of the lip, they will put tremendous twisting force on your bucket's cutting edge and maybe even twist and distort the bucket's sheet metal. You need a thick bar to mount the teeth onto and a groove over the lip to keep the teeth from peeling upwards when you hit a rock. It won't be long until you are snaggle-toothed. you might prevent this by drilling and bolting the teeth to the bucket, but it all seems so futile when $300, shipping, and a little patience could get you a very nice tooth-bar instead of a homemade headache.

I know your tractor is only 25 hp, but I don't think that will matter. I just can't be positive about your chances. Color me skeptical.:rolleyes: :)

/ Bucket Teeth/Home Made? #12  
You can do a search for "Toothbars" and get some very good ideas from this forum. I actually just finished fabbing up a set of them for my little Mitsu Gray. Since I live near cities I can get ready made teeth, tho I seriously considered fabbing up my own, I ended up with the ready-made dentures. I considered permanent, but decided I'd like to be able to use the bucket edge for smoothing & I have several other self-fabbed implements which rely on that smooth bucket edge. Let's see if I can figure out how to attach my photos.

Attachments

• P1000493.JPG
    P1000493.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,928
  • P1000492.JPG
    P1000492.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 1,808
  • P1000491.JPG
    P1000491.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 1,732
   / Bucket Teeth/Home Made? #13  
If I were you, living where you do..I would not be a BIT shy about fabbing up my own teeth. My suggestion would be to do up a tooth that you can weld to a bar to be bolted onto the bucket & removed when needed. Just make sure to shape the teeth so they hook under the front cutting edge of the bucket so it can bear the stress.... & Bob's your uncle!

Mike

/ Bucket Teeth/Home Made? #14  
If you need some wear resistant steel to weld under those rods, use pieces of old leaf springs: its allmost as good as original teeth !!
Just dont waste your band saw on them, but torch 'em or use a grinder.

/ Bucket Teeth/Home Made? #15  
Mike,

May I ask where you got your teeth from?

Chris

miketheDrummer said:
You can do a search for "Toothbars" and get some very good ideas from this forum. I actually just finished fabbing up a set of them for my little Mitsu Gray. Since I live near cities I can get ready made teeth, tho I seriously considered fabbing up my own, I ended up with the ready-made dentures. I considered permanent, but decided I'd like to be able to use the bucket edge for smoothing & I have several other self-fabbed implements which rely on that smooth bucket edge. Let's see if I can figure out how to attach my photos.

/ Bucket Teeth/Home Made? #16  
I posted this some years back, but it's worked well for me, with my 19 hp Kubota B8200... I bought forged combine teeth and some bar, and the welded up, easy to attach and remove tooth bar has held up to whatever abuse I have subjected it to. I could take some better fotos if anyone out there was interested.

Attachments

• teeth above.jpg
    teeth above.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,760
   / Bucket Teeth/Home Made? #17  
YukonKing,

A few years ago I needed to get a toothbar for my tractor but did not want to spend the $300.00 for one either. While working in my shop one day I noticed a stack of leaf springs and the idea hit me. Springs are made of some tough metal. I disassembled the springs and cut them apart using a metal blade in a skill saw. I used 3/4 inch bar stock and three pieces of leaf spring to form a wedge shaped tooth. I cut holes in the leafs to bolt to my bucket and welded together. After making each tooth the next was a little different design so they are not all identical.

When I put these teeth to the test the spring material kept snapping near the welds when backdragging. I would reweld but the breaking would occur again. The problem was due to the spring metal becoming brittle near the welds. The springs (teeth) needed to be tempered. I wanted to heat the metal to 500 to 600 degrees F and hold there for a while. I thought of cooking them in the kitchen oven with it in the self cleaning mode. Instead, I used the gas grill with it turned on high and cooked the teeth for about an hour then let cool slowly. Since then I have not had any breakage.

If I were going to buy old springs from a salvage yard, I would buy ones from a large truck like a dump truck. Mine are smaller since them came off of a 1/2 ton truck which I had taken the axle from. You might find used springs at a truck spring shop. I hope this helps.

/ Bucket Teeth/Home Made?
Ok,

So I'm resurecting this old thread. Yesterday I started building my tooth bar.
So far everything is tacked together. I'm using a tinny winny welder to tack with so the welds look like crap, The bar stock was exchanged for 1" solid square stock as in the drawing. I will get some pictures up later today.
So far I looks good.

YukonKing

Attachments

• Tooth2.jpg
    Tooth2.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 973
   / Bucket Teeth/Home Made? #19  
I like this. Using the leaf springs and tempering them is a great idea.
Yukon, you might want to think about putting a flat bar inside to add some strength, or even underneath the front lip.

I love this website. :)

/ Bucket Teeth/Home Made?
ok,

so made some forks too. total cost 100$.

Attachments

• tractor 021 (Medium).jpg
    tractor 021 (Medium).jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 618
  • tractor 019 (Medium).jpg
    tractor 019 (Medium).jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 891
  • tractor 018 (Medium).jpg
    tractor 018 (Medium).jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 878
  • tractor 017 (Medium).jpg
    tractor 017 (Medium).jpg