Backhoe Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen
Between people stopping by and occasional spits of rain, I was lucky to get 2 hours in today.

I fabricated the bucket linkage, mounted it to the dipper stick, tacked the spacers and bushings in place and checked for articulation. I need to adjust the cross tube that goes through the dipper stick a foot up from the end. It is not quite square and makes for a small bind. I will ream out the bottom of the hole on the side that is too high and keep test fitting until it operates smoothly and is square with the dipper stick before I tack the tube in place.

I also started fabricating the 12" bucket. The plans call for making the bucket from 1/8 inch plate. However, I don't have any. I am using 1/4 triangular plates for the sides that I think will make for a good bucket shape and size. The bottom and back of the bucket will be from 3/8 diamond plated. The smooth side will go inside the bucket and the diamond side will go on the outside.

Pictures will be taken before I continue. ;)

Running totals:
Time = 53 hrs.
Approximate Cost = $1600.00

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #382  
MossRoad said:
Between people stopping by and occasional spits of rain, I was lucky to get 2 hours in today.

I fabricated the bucket linkage, mounted it to the dipper stick, tacked the spacers and bushings in place and checked for articulation. I need to adjust the cross tube that goes through the dipper stick a foot up from the end. It is not quite square and makes for a small bind. I will ream out the bottom of the hole on the side that is too high and keep test fitting until it operates smoothly and is square with the dipper stick before I tack the tube in place.

I also started fabricating the 12" bucket. The plans call for making the bucket from 1/8 inch plate. However, I don't have any. I am using 1/4 triangular plates for the sides that I think will make for a good bucket shape and size. The bottom and back of the bucket will be from 3/8 diamond plated. The smooth side will go inside the bucket and the diamond side will go on the outside.

Pictures will be taken before I continue. ;)

Running totals:
Time = 53 hrs.
I can't wait to see this baby in action. Hope your going to take lots of pictures.:D

Pictures as promised. ;)

Running totals:
Time = 55 hrs.

Attachments

• MossRoadBackhoe105.JPG
    MossRoadBackhoe105.JPG
    320.1 KB · Views: 452
  • MossRoadBackhoe106.JPG
    MossRoadBackhoe106.JPG
    284.7 KB · Views: 436
  • MossRoadBackhoe108.JPG
    MossRoadBackhoe108.JPG
    336.7 KB · Views: 366
  • MossRoadBackhoe109.JPG
    MossRoadBackhoe109.JPG
    359.2 KB · Views: 352
  • MossRoadBackhoe110.JPG
    MossRoadBackhoe110.JPG
    340.4 KB · Views: 363
  • MossRoadBackhoe111.JPG
    MossRoadBackhoe111.JPG
    370.7 KB · Views: 382
  • MossRoadBackhoe112.JPG
    MossRoadBackhoe112.JPG
    321.1 KB · Views: 332
  • MossRoadBackhoe113.JPG
    MossRoadBackhoe113.JPG
    304.7 KB · Views: 345
  • MossRoadBackhoe114.JPG
    MossRoadBackhoe114.JPG
    345.7 KB · Views: 368
  • MossRoadBackhoe115.JPG
    MossRoadBackhoe115.JPG
    321.8 KB · Views: 449
   / Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #384  
Yo MossRoad, You got a real project goin on. I can tell you're a man of detail. ... wow! You're doing some beautiful work. Keep it up, ... and thanks for sharing the project with us.

JD-Beach said:
Yo MossRoad, You got a real project goin on. I can tell you're a man of detail. ... wow! You're doing some beautiful work. Keep it up, ... and thanks for sharing the project with us.

Thanks for the kind words, but don't look too close at my welds... they're ugly! :D

I ran out of oxygen for cutting yesterday, so I started welding and ran out of rods, too! :)

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #386  
MossRoad said:
Thanks for the kind words, but don't look too close at my welds... they're ugly! :D

I ran out of oxygen for cutting yesterday, so I started welding and ran out of rods, too! :)

David,
Very nice, that is one very heavy duty backhoe.
You thinking of starting more work on your property?
PJ

pajoube said:
David,
Very nice, that is one very heavy duty backhoe.
You thinking of starting more work on your property?
PJ
Yes. I pulled a septic and well permit a couple weeks ago. The septic area was marked off and soil boring took place with great results! It will sit about 15' below the level of my walk out basement and is all gravity fed, no mound system, etc... very fortunate. The well will probably go up the hill and on the oposite side of the house from the septic field, about 150' away.

However, as you know, I am a tightwad and enjoy my debt free lifestyle! :D But, we might as well bite the bullet and start, so we will probably be interviewing builders in the next couple months. We have a good floorplan that I laid out in the backyard with flag sticks and then used my giant reed grass stems to outline the walls. It was nice to walk around in it and get a sense of the space. The wife approved, so now we go. YIKES, I'm nervous already!!! :eek::)

Spent some time going over my hydraulic schematic tonight and checking all the port sizes. It looks like I got lucky and all ports are SAE#8 3/4-16 with the exception of the free cylinders that I am going to use for the swing function. I pulled an adapter that was on one of them and will take it to a local hydraulic shop to figure out what I need to adapt it to SAE#8 3/4-16. It also looks like some sort of restrictor device. I will try it without the restrictor, first just because I can. :) Attached is the hydraulic schematic that I drew up tonight. Anyone interested, please take a look and see if you see any glaring problems. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• HydraulicSchematic.jpg
    HydraulicSchematic.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 353
I should note that there are two swing cylinders, working like this...

When one is pushing, the other is pulling and vice versa. I have them Teed together as shown in the schematic with dots.

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #390  
MossRoad said:
Yes. I pulled a septic and well permit a couple weeks ago. The septic area was marked off and soil boring took place with great results! It will sit about 15' below the level of my walk out basement and is all gravity fed, no mound system, etc... very fortunate. The well will probably go up the hill and on the oposite side of the house from the septic field, about 150' away.

However, as you know, I am a tightwad and enjoy my debt free lifestyle! :D But, we might as well bite the bullet and start, so we will probably be interviewing builders in the next couple months. We have a good floorplan that I laid out in the backyard with flag sticks and then used my giant reed grass stems to outline the walls. It was nice to walk around in it and get a sense of the space. The wife approved, so now we go. YIKES, I'm nervous already!!! :eek::)
Whats the market for builders? Out here it is still very tight with builders getting 3 to 4 percent more than 200 miles away.
Plants you brought last summer are in full bloom, be sure to let the girls know.
PJ