Backhoe Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #71  
Maybe up to 1/4, and then it starts to grab and break the teeth off. The carbide cutters cut a wider nerf than the normal hole saw, so the plug is not tight and less jamming will occur. The annular cutters are made to cut through things like I beams, using a hole-hawg magnetic drill.

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #72  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Maybe up to 1/4, and then it starts to grab and break the teeth off. )</font>

Makes sense. I never had that problem; I have Milwakee Bi-Metal, but don't think I've ever gone more than 1/4" in steel either. That annular cutter does look sweet!

Plasma cutter, cold saw, and now that annular cutter: you're giving me tool envy! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen
I've been reading up on the hole cutting. The methods of choice appear to be a cutter like you show and the bimetal hole saws. Third method is torch the hole and fill in with welding. I think I'll avoid that method for now. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I have a small drill press. I believe it is 1/2 inch chuck. How much can I expect to pay for that cutter VS a hole saw? What RPM should I run it at?

<font color="blue">Harbor Freight Band Saw.... It is usually $200. It is on sale for $179 in the store. I have a 20% off coupon that expires in November, so I'll watch for it to go off sale and pick it up for about $160, I hope </font>

I was in the area today and stopped by Harbor Freight. It was on sale for $169.00($179.00 on the website) and they let me use my 20% off coupon, so it ended up being only $135.00 + tax. Too busy this weekend to set it up, though. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Have to wait until later. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I fit lasts through just this project, I'll be happy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It took me about a half an hour to put the saw together. One of the instruction illustrations was backwards... imagine that! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I made one 90 degree cut through the 4" tubing just to test it out. I had it on the low speed and that wasn't doing much. So I switched it to the middle speed and it took about 20 minutes. About 8 minutes on the top, 4 minutes to go through the sides, and another 8 for the bottom. That seems a bit too long. Anyone have any opinions on that time?

However, sitting in a chair next to a saw watching it work is MUCH better than bending over a piece of tubing with a sawzall in my hands! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Could be that the saw came with a fine tooth blade and I could probably switch it out for a more coarse one and go a bit faster. I checked the pressure of the tension spring and there isn't much weight on the arm. I could lift it with one finger. Even if I back the tension all the way off, it seems a bit light. I took the temptation to push down on the end of the arm just a bit. It didn't take much to knock the blade off the wheels. Seemed like only about 6-8 pounds of pressure was too much. So, I just let it do the work with the weight of the arm.

Question for anyone that can tell me... should I be using cutting fluid with the band saw? We had hand held bandsaws at work and we never used fluid with those. They seemed to work just fine.

And yes, I took pictures and will document the whole thing. Just don't have time to upload them tonight. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #76  
I have been looking at them on Ebay, and they run $15 to
$ 25 Use the slowest speed on your drill press. Torching isn't too bad, if you use the correct diameter ring. Just cut inside the ring with the torch vertical. Torching is the fastest.

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #77  
I've seen my brother cut holes with the torch and they would look like they had been drilled practically They would only need a minimal dressing and for many applications they would been fine the way they were. It is amazing to watch someone that is really skilled using a torch. He knows all the tricks and can weld with oxy accet, arc, mig, and tig, sad thing is his health is declining he has ms. But watching someone like that and what is possible with these tools is an encoragement to keep trying.

/ Build A Backhoe For PT425... It Could Happen #78  
after you have used the saw a little more please give us an evaluation on the saw.

<font color="blue"> It is amazing to watch someone that is really skilled using a torch. </font>

The key words there are " really skilled". I also find it amazing to watch somone that is not skilled use a torch. I've seen some real cobble jobs out there( a few were mine /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif).

I haven't used a torch for accurate work in 25 years. I can cut garbage off very easily, but flame cutting for accuracy isn't one of my strong points. Which is kind of odd, because I can flame weld very nicely. There is really something neat about watching that puddle form and then moving it along with the flame. Way different than arc welding.

I just remembered that I obtained a 2' x about 7' piece of 3/8" or 1/2" diamond plate last summer. I stuck it in my storage shed and forgot about it. That will make excellent floor plate for the backhoe. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif