build a bridge, get over it

/ build a bridge, get over it
Re: another update on the bridge project

last year all we did was pray for rain, this year i think we got all we asked for. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ build a bridge, get over it #72  

I have been looking for someone or something to pin all this rain on. Shame on ya. Attached pic will show you what I have been putting up with. The creek should be 6 to 8 feet below the bank. Luckily the 2 times the water got this high the rain stopped. The creek goes down almost immediately after the rain stops, must not be any tributaries to this creek. I love this property except for the flooding possibilties. I don't care how dry it gets, I don't think I will ever pray for rain.

Attachments

• 301916-Flood2x.jpg
    301916-Flood2x.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,000

that is the way my creek is, up real fast, down real fast. makes a real mess when its up. also can scare the you know what out of you when it comes up at night, you can hear it real good, but just not sure how big it is. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

unwanted test on the bridge, what not to do.

I got an unwanted test on my bridge, the guy i had hired to do some excavating was bringing his excavator back in to fix the hole for the basement. He did not make it square. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Anyway I follow him in to my property, i have signs on my bridge saying no large trucks. He drives right across not even slowing down. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif He was driving the dump truck in the attached photo and a 24000 lbs excavator on a 30 ton trailer behind the truck.
He said his truck would not hurt my bridge, i just think he was pissed because i didn't build the bridge like he wanted me to.
Anyway he is no longer employed as my excavator guy, i have a new one that drives his equipment through the low water crossing in the creek. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 325107-house63.jpg
    325107-house63.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 965
   / build a bridge, get over it #75  
Re: unwanted test on the bridge, what not to do.

You might want to put a big chain/paddlelock on that bridge or install some HUGE Jagged metal posts just wider than a pickup truck to keep nitwits like him off of it!

Best wishes,
Ron

/ build a bridge, get over it #76  
Re: unwanted test on the bridge, what not to do.

WOW. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif That was a heck of a bridge. Lucky for me the only bridge I need to build will be after we add a pond and need to get over the stream that will feed it.

/ build a bridge, get over it #78  
Did you tie your retaining wall posts together (across the drive) to keep them from leaning out over time?

I built a 6 ft wide footbridge over a stream and 40 ft. of floodplain. This is a small stream and the mainstem opening is about 5ft x 8 ft. The mainstem and the rest of the bridge are supported above the floodplain on pairs of 2" square tube pounded down as far as I could get it. This lets the floodplain fill up with water, but the water still flows under the bridge...so far (ten years) the water hasn't come all the way up to the bridge deck.

I wish I had a good source of used RR ties. Those are great for any number of projects around the place.

BOB