build a splitter

/ build a splitter
well guys still slowly moving with this thing illness and other things have got in the way,but after tearing the ligaments in my lower back last weekend while splitting with a maul it has now come back to being a priority.I have just sent off to an ebay store for a set of plans on dvd so hopefully that will arrive here in my part of australia within the next week or so.I now have an extra 10hp honda motor for parts so maybe some sort of assisted starter motor may be in order.I am still trying to get a reply from surplus centre but no luck as yet JJ had sent me an adress and a contact but no luck probably once I have the plans and know what I need I may have more luck.The seller of the plans is USA based and says they supply a detailed parts list and supplier list and at the moment the aussie dollar is up against the greenback.As far as bought machines go the stuff available down under is to me undersized and the postage is over the top.the postage on one of the 4 tonne machines is around 170 bucks I can get a good pump for that and the others are rated around 8 ton but dont look very strong to me probably all chinese made but without being able to actually view one I am a bit sceptical as to how many bits of aussie hardwood they wood cut cheers

/ build a splitter #12  
hi,what sort and size wood do u wan to split / wedge on end of beam is best.have seen wedges torn off beams because not cut and welded and reinforced, intergrated into beam. anchor cylinder end with two or three web mounts and intergrate into the beam. beam choice can be box tube,where the pusher plate can slide along encasing the beam,safest method, or weldhalf inch plate along top of beam work area for slide. i beam is cheap,that,s why many folk use it,but u still have to beef it to stop twist stresses.have had both types of beam, prefer box beam myself.redesigned wedges to split the toughest wood australia has to offer.if u build one for home or commercial use at the end of the day u don,t want to be repairing the machine. cheers

/ build a splitter #14  
Hi, i'm in Narooma, south of Batemans Bay. Did you get the beam design ideas? I'm happy to talk splitters any time!!!:thumbsup:

/ build a splitter
hey all back to this project is there any reason a logsplitter pump has to be two stage I have found a couple of power take off pumps and another single stage pump.Why are all splitter pumps direct drive whats wrong with using a single stage pump with a pulley and belt drive set up.I have no hydraulics knowledge at all so thats why I am asking questions cheers Is ther an easy way to find posts that you have participated in but cant find

/ build a splitter #16  
hey all back to this project is there any reason a logsplitter pump has to be two stage I have found a couple of power take off pumps and another single stage pump.Why are all splitter pumps direct drive whats wrong with using a single stage pump with a pulley and belt drive set up.I have no hydraulics knowledge at all so thats why I am asking questions cheers Is ther an easy way to find posts that you have participated in but cant find

the benefit of the two stage pump is that when under no load (the return stroke and the take-up before the log is engaged) the cylinder will get the benefit of the fast fluid speed. a 16gpm 2 stage pump only flows that fast under no-load conditions with a low pressure. it reverts to a low flow high pressure when it is actually doing the work.

a single stage pump will work, but you will want a reasonable flow to make the no-load speed bearable. i built a splitter that i run off my tractor's hydraulics. it's a single stage 5.6gpm pump, and it can be a little slow on the return, but it's fine for me as a one-man splitter.

/ build a splitter
thanks lost cause speed is not an issue to me,these power take off pumps that I found been out in the shed hunting and could only find one it is gear driven made by Edbro england model is a bit confusing as it has two sets of numbers one says pto model then these digits stamped on the first 4 are on a flat plate the last two on the casing numbers are 702852.
At the other end are cast edbro england and wpa57p,this is a largish pump about the sise of a 009 stihl chainsaw,I also have a smaller one of the same make but have to find where I stuck it,do you think these things would work or should I forget that option I am open to advice. I don't want to chop the end off of the pump to fit a pulley where th cog is if this pump would be better off being reused for it's proper purpose but I do not know what that is cheers and thanks for replying

/ build a splitter #18  
Hi
I am from near Adelaide so not far from you.
I bought a 12 ton Chinese log splitter could have gone the DIY route but did not have the time having to work the vineyard.
It came with its own trailer/mount.
Has been a great buy and certainly saved my back.
If you want to see one in action got to 12 TON Hydraulic Wood LOG SPLITTER 5.5hp 4 Stroke B/New | eBay and click on the video.
The demo is splitting Australian hardwood and I have done a lot bigger logs than shown.
The company provides great service.
regards

/ build a splitter
thanks zonta I had seen that while cruising the bay over the last couple of weeks(strained back splitting firewood) . Wondered if it was as good as it looked ,does it have filtration for the oil,not towable on roads by the look of it
,just how long have you had yours not a bad price 799 do you remember what the freight to adelaide was.,How does it handle old dead wood I have a stack of 6 to 7 year seasoned redgum and tuart gum, the red will split by hand but not the tuart.
The beam is it box or I beam ?
Thanks for the feedback I might be better off putting my bits up on ebay and put the money to the splitter,I really appreciate your input .a lot of my family are in adelaide what part of town are you in any chance of a demo one weekend if you are doing a bit of splitting cheers and thanks again. pete

Last edited:
   / build a splitter #20  
hi zonta, i have that same splitter for about ayear now, modified wedge,d6 dozer ripper shoe as wedge ,extra angle weldeld on sides to enhance quicker split,standard wedge was too small,too slow.mounted mine on rear of hilux tray ute 4x4. did away with original mounts,sits flush with tray,has loglifter/bench with dropleg support socan use as bench loaded with roundswhile splitting.lifter/bench works with retracting the cylinder via cable,will lift enough to take frountwheels off the ground,or enough wood to keep u busy .