Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be???

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be??? #11  
The reduction would be significant due to the reduction of labor, paint, welding supplies and shipping costs, and it would vary from one attachment to the other. The kit would include every bolt, nut, screw, and shank that is required to build the attachment, and all the parts would be cut and bent to the specifications needed for simple assembly. The attachments that are almost 100% manufactured in our factory, like the plows, would have a larger reduction in price than say a cultipacker that has the cast iron wheels which we purchase from a 3rd party.

A great ideal! :thumbsup: You could even have a "library" of implements listed online without a single piece in inventory and only send the kit out to be cut and formed after an order has been placed. That way even if only a few are ordered per year no inventory is required. I can see this would take a great deal of planning.

You may actually get a number of backyard attachment builders using you as a high quality supplier.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be??? #12  
Sounds great in theory, but I'm not so sure it'll work out for anybody as well as they hope, including EA. I have a welder and I love building stuff and doing custom fab work, but I also know my welding skills are still at the novice level. Would I trust my welds in a tug of war with my 7000lbs tractor, I'm not sure, most of them maybe. As far as resale value of the attachment goes, I see a problem for all the getr' done welders out there. Paint is also something that some people do well and others don't. Lots of paint just gets scraped off anyway, but having some paint stick to something that lives outside is important.

I can see this turning into a bit of a nightmare for EA when people start welding the wrong pieces together. I also don't know how warranty would work, if an attachment is not working properly or breaks, it's likely because you welded it crooked or incorrectly.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be??? #13  
Definitely interested...if there's a significant price reduction ...

Rich

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be??? #14  
Just my :2cents:, But this HAS to be one of your best ideas yet Ted. I think that it could be a win win for everybody. The only catch is that the purchaser should know their realistic capabilities. But IMO that is the purchaser's responsibility.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be??? #15  
It should not be any different then buying bulk metal from a welding supply store. The only issue I could see is with fitup but once again that comes down to people's ability to actually weld as needed.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be??? #16  
Well I guess i am going to be one of the kill-joys. Bolt together sure, good idea. Weld it yourself, bad idea. Warranty, truthfully I would warranty anything else that someone assembled. No telling how many bolts, washers, nuts they didn't put in right, tight enough.

Just my 2 cents.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be??? #17  
Just my :2cents:, But this HAS to be one of your best ideas yet Ted. I think that it could be a win win for everybody. The only catch is that the purchaser should know their realistic capabilities. But IMO that is the purchaser's responsibility.

AGREE :2cents:

Ready to purchase the first Cultipacker kit :thumbsup:

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be??? #18  
Well I guess i am going to be one of the kill-joys. Bolt together sure, good idea. Weld it yourself, bad idea. Warranty, truthfully I would warranty anything else that someone assembled. No telling how many bolts, washers, nuts they didn't put in right, tight enough

Just my 2 cents.

Sometimes you do stuff on your own and take responsibility for the outcome. No hand holding needed or wanted. If a warranty is important then buy a complete assembled unit instead.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be??? #19  
Sometimes you do stuff on your own and take responsibility for the outcome. No hand holding needed or wanted. If a warranty is important then buy a complete assembled unit instead.

Exactly, I couldn't have said it better. :drink:

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachment KITS...How much interest would there be??? #20  
I'd be really interested in your idea. I would like to eventually get a box blade for my JD3720. If I could actually build it that would be even better. The savings would have to significant though, because the shipping cost will be.
Either way, I think that it is a good idea and a viable option. Keep us informed.