Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested?

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #41  
If you ever offer your Landscape Rake 2.0 in a kit, I would be extremely interested in buying one and evaluating it.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #42  
Sign me up for a land plane. I agree with 50% price reduction. If its not cheap enough, i may as well pick up an assembled one.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #43  
Ted, how would you handle the insurance...say someone buys a kit welds it themselves, ends up getting hurt because a weld broke or it wasn't assembled correctly. I would think your insurance would frown on that. I know ours did when we thought of offering kit hitches.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #44  
HeavyHitch said:
Ted, how would you handle the insurance...say someone buys a kit welds it themselves, ends up getting hurt because a weld broke or it wasn't assembled correctly. I would think your insurance would frown on that. I know ours did when we thought of offering kit hitches.

If you worry about every potential lawsuit no one would start any business. The best thing to do is mitigate your risks. Being that your selling an unassembled kit your already in a fairly safe position.

Don't take it from me, talk to a lawyer but my bet is that since you have no control of the assembly or welding it would be hard to sue when the weld breaks, simple wording in the instructions and on the selling website that your kits are designed to be assembled by experienced welders mitigate your risk even further.

You are just selling cut steel parts, if you provided a faulty material or had a fundamentally faulty design I could see potential liability problems, but material certificates are standard in the industry, transferring the responsibility to the supplier and steel maker, and the cost of an pe's stamp on a drawing of your design for something like a blade should be under a grand transferring the design liability. (one time expense) Finally i would also basically steal (but in your own lawyer approved language) the warnings, warning labels, and operating instructions from JD, land pride, and other implement manufactures, as their theirs most likely have been designed for and tested by historical legal actions. These 4 actions should make any insurance agent and your lawyer happy.

I wouldn't offer any warranty (other than for material or cutting issues) because you have no control of the assembly, welding or use.... Besides selling replacement or piecemeal parts a a higher margin then the complete kit will be a nice profit center.

I'm in the process of a startup in a much worse field for liability issues, (firearm receivers requiring gunsmith fitting) and have basically learned after many (expensive) meetings that anyone can sue for anything all a business owner is mitigate the personal risk by incorporating and dotting your "I"s and crossing your "T"s

One other thought... don't let any one assemble and sell your kits under "your company name" with out becoming an "additional insured" on their policy. If they want to make a business of assembling and selling implements from your kit have them sell them as their own (ie joe smith brand) not as your brand unless they add you to their policy.

Sorry for the long post but I hope it helps..

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #45  
Part of the therapy in building your own attachments is the hunt for parts. Shipping steel isn't exactly cheap either. If a person is capable of welding he probably has a torch and bandsaw. In most cases coupled with a ruler this starts the adventure. I have machine shops several miles away if I ever need their services .... but at their rates I can figure it out on my own.
You don't sound 100% sure of your venture. All you can do is advertise on cheap ( free ) forums, pick out a couple simple attachments and see what the reaction is. Remember.... many want, few step up with the cash.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #46  
People keep throwing out the 50% savings number. I think this is an unrealistik number. A kit that has an assembly time of 3 hrs should not save you as much as a kit that has an 8 hr assembly time. A land plane takes a lot more welding than a rear blade so the savings should be greater on the land plane.
Bill

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #47  
I'd focus on stuff not available any other way.

Example...a quick attach plate which allows various attachments such as:
hay spikes
boom extension to hay spike
pallet fork
chain hooks on above
receiver hitch for trailer ball or whatever.
also, set up plate so it also fits 3pt hitch and allows hay spike, boom, pallet fork, chain hooks, receiver hitch use there as well.

I generally agree with this. If I want a box blade, I'd rather just go buy one assembled, why reinvent the wheel?

I would also add this suggestion: Why not just put the individual parts for all of your attachments out there for sale? People are resourceful enough to know what they need to build all kinds of things without it being in a kit. For instance, someone might have a good use for the "A-Frame" part of a box blade, without needing an entire box blade. Another example would be parts to make quick-attach connections such as the John Deere pins and hooks.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #48  
I've been looking at land planes, 3 pt backhoes, and 3 pt boom mowers. The land plane I could probably swing without too much problem, but based on the amount of use it'd get versus cost, it just isn't worth it. The backhoe and boom mower would get some use and I would love to have one, but the prices are prohibitive. If I could get a kit and weld/bolt it up myself, then it would be a good sale. I agree with the others, I think there is definitely a market. Legal issues should be a simple matter of having the customer acknowledge limited liability when they purchase.

Do it! It's a market waiting to be tapped.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #49  
Its a very interesting idea. It does expose your company to more complaints (people tend to not blame there work, but the work of others).

As an option, or an idea, I would identify steel suppliers on the left coast who you could do a deal with. Send your cad files and have the cut and ship. Reduce the cost of shipping for us over here.

/ Build-It-Yourself Attachments KITS??? interested? #50  
I think it would be great and the savings in reduced shipping would be as great as the lower cost so it could be a double win. Sign me up for your kit for adding fel quick attach to the 3pt!