Building a backhoe? Anyone ever done it?

/ Building a backhoe? Anyone ever done it?
So why is it that the back hoes that you buy don't have a sub frame?

/ Building a backhoe? Anyone ever done it? #22  
So why is it that the back hoes that you buy don't have a sub frame?

They do. You usually have to buy the subframe separately to fit your specific tractor.

There are 3 pt. backhoes out there, but there are many backhoes that can be either 3 pt. or subframe.

/ Building a backhoe? Anyone ever done it? #23  
Another idea would be to make it a towable model. Typically they have their own engine and hyd pump, but you could hang the pump on your pto shaft. The towable would free the tractor of the stress even better than the subframe. Very easy to connect and use too. I have thought about a standard 3-point attach model like the low cost TaylorWay unit, converted to towable for 3-point safety.

/ Building a backhoe? Anyone ever done it? #24  
   / Building a backhoe? Anyone ever done it?
ok, if im going to make a towable version i midaswell spend the money and make a excavator type that spins 360 degrese. Anyone know where to get the 360 hydraulic manifold for cheap? perferably out of a mini EX

/ Building a backhoe? Anyone ever done it? #26  
Maybe you start with a old mini Ex, and end up with, a min Ex that works well.

/ Building a backhoe? Anyone ever done it? #27  
ok, if im going to make a towable version i midaswell spend the money and make a excavator type that spins 360 degrese. Anyone know where to get the 360 hydraulic manifold for cheap? perferably out of a mini EX

Don't need it.

Mount all your hydraulics, etc. on the "turret" and mount a ring gear on the base. Then everything spins together and you don't have any hydraulic hoses needing to be rotated. Make telescoping stabilizers with pins rather than hydraulics to eliminate the need for hydraulics on the stabilizers.

My vote is still for a tractor mount backhoe. Mostly because that's what I want to make, and I expect that I'll get more inspired following your thread.

/ Building a backhoe? Anyone ever done it? #28  
Will tap and drill some M12 thread in the connectors so i can plug them with a piece of M12 bolt, and drill a 1 or 2mm hole through it to really reduce the flow to the swing cylinder.

Just be sure to watch heat build up in the hydraulic fluid restricting it this way... A better, but more expensive alternative is a flow divider. If this was in the stabilizer circuit which doesn't cycle often, it is no big deal, but for a swing cylinder that will be actuated constantly, I would be concerned with heat buildup.

/ Building a backhoe? Anyone ever done it? #29  
Don't need it.

Mount all your hydraulics, etc. on the "turret" and mount a ring gear on the base. Then everything spins together and you don't have any hydraulic hoses needing to be rotated. Make telescoping stabilizers with pins rather than hydraulics to eliminate the need for hydraulics on the stabilizers.

My vote is still for a tractor mount backhoe. Mostly because that's what I want to make, and I expect that I'll get more inspired following your thread.

Dang that's a good idea. I just might implement that into my backhoe. I could have the manual stabilizers, and still just crawl it around, and when I want to turn it from one side to another. I just lift up and use the swing motor to steer it around.

Now I just need to wait until I get some more money to purchase the hydraulic motor, and extra parts. Then I can have my home made mini excavator with 360 swing.

Thanks for the idea.

Chad

/ Building a backhoe? Anyone ever done it? #30  
Dang that's a good idea. I just might implement that into my backhoe. I could have the manual stabilizers, and still just crawl it around, and when I want to turn it from one side to another. I just lift up and use the swing motor to steer it around.
If you tow it by tractor, you could still operate the stabilisers with tractor hydraulics. But anyways, how often do you turn 360 degree when there is a tow vehicle up front ? If you put the stabiliser lines in a big loop, you could turn 360 degrees too, but just one revolution ;)