Building a goat pen and shed for FFA goat??

/ Building a goat pen and shed for FFA goat?? #21  
Forgot to mention yesterday that goats are much happier if there is another one around. They are herd animals and aren't wild about being alone. If you are dealing with an intact male it is obviously a whole different ball game. Sorry couldn't resist.

/ Building a goat pen and shed for FFA goat??
Thanks Everybody, Let me tell you about my weekend. I took off Friday to work on the pen got all the post in and set 3 foot deep we finished off the high tension wire on Saturday and started tensioning it up, NEVER try and take short cuts on corners, I figured 3+ feet deep corners in our rocky soil would hold without braces since the pen was so small WRONG. Chris had a Boy Scout merit badge on Sunday that didn't get cancelled until we got there ERR! 35 miles one way, so we went to pick up the goat, turns out they had the same concern as ya'll about one goat so they gave us the champion bred whether and a little young female companion goat. Anyway we got the goats home and put them in the 10' X 10' dog kennel and hauled back to town to get the braces and 2 X 4 horse wire by the time we got back to the ranch it was dark, needless to say the goats are still in the dog kennel this morning and the poor dogs get to live in the stock trailer for a few days. I'll take pictures of the pen when we get finished it'll probably be good for Buffalo when we get done but at least we'll only have to do it once.
Steve

/ Building a goat pen and shed for FFA goat?? #23  
Yep.. can't scrimp on braces.. gotta have them..even on barb wire.. etc.

Either H braces.. or single post angle braces for light duty jobs.

Soundguy

/ Building a goat pen and shed for FFA goat?? #24  
stevenf, thanks for posting your experiences and adventures..been there..even to keeping dog in cattle trailer:)

Regarding braces, I have experience..much of it of the ... well, now I know that... type.
What I have learned re high tensile wire and braced end posts.
1) use metal cross braces. Over time ANY wood will either rot or bend out of the way.
2) I cut slots into 2 inch pipe which is sized for an H brace and use high tensile wire to go thru the slot and around the post to hold it to the post... several coils of wire done thus. I chain saw seats for the ends of the metal brace posts into the large vertical wooden posts.
3) The placement of the H metal cross brace is critical... I place it very near the top of the corner and adjacent brace post . The geometry seems to keep the end corner post from pulling out of the ground MUCH better than if the H brace is placed near the center of the posts.... as I see almost all my neighbors doing...
3) I've given up on treated pine... except for creosote. Everything else I've tried rots ... sometimes in 4 years... worst is if you sink it into a concrete bowl such that the bottom cannot drain and water simply sits in the bottom of the concrete post hole. There must be a drain at the bottom of the post for water to exit.
4) In Texas we have a type of cedar that is called ash juniper... if one gets a post that is 6 to 8 inches of red heart, it lasts about 100 years in the ground. They are hard to find anymore,, the large size of heart wood, but worth the hunt although more expensive initially than a pine treated post. The pine post needs replacement all too soon.
5) to put tension on the H brace... the cross wire.... I use a high tensile rachet and leave it in the corner brace permanently... then you can come back and tighten things up when the slack... and they will slack...
6) TSC now has rachets that retain their cross bar... much superior to the type that have a removable cross bar... and no more expensive.. about $2 or $3 each, don't recall exactly.

I know that what you do will be dictated by available materials and tools.. hope some of the above helps!

/ Building a goat pen and shed for FFA goat??
Hi everybody, Thought I'd post some pictures of our progress and the goats, we got all the braces finished yesterday and tightened the tension wire to banjo tight it looks good. Now all we have to do is get the 2" X 4" up, build the shed and install the gate. Couldn't believe the prices of lumber I was going to build a 8' X 4' wooden gate with 4" x 4" welded wire on the inside, its cheaper to buy a ready made 8' welded wire gate from TSC then it is to build it time you figure in all the hardware except the wire which I already have. Well hope ya'll enjoy the pictures it may take a couple of downloads to get them all on so bear with me.
Steve

Attachments

• TBN Goats and Goat Pen Pics2.JPG
    TBN Goats and Goat Pen Pics2.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 878
  • TBN Goats and Goat Pen Pics3.JPG
    TBN Goats and Goat Pen Pics3.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 636
  • TBN Goats and Goat Pen Pics4.JPG
    TBN Goats and Goat Pen Pics4.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 590
  • TBN Goats and Goat Pen Pics5.JPG
    TBN Goats and Goat Pen Pics5.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 635
   / Building a goat pen and shed for FFA goat?? #26  
cute little bogers!! There is nothing cuter than a baby goat.... you need some of these in your future:)

Good looking pen.... am glad to see you used LONG brace posts.... should hold much better than shorter ones... Glad you have two of them... kids love company.

I was in FFA... raised 15 sheep and got lambs from them, etc.... am sure that your son is getting an education in how to keep records, build stuff, cost of stuff, etc.... good experience.... It'll be a good project for him... and you will have memories of the two of you doing all this jointly. Winner all the way around.

/ Building a goat pen and shed for FFA goat?? #27  
need a goat update...

how are the little buggers :D

/ Building a goat pen and shed for FFA goat?? #28  
According to the greek restaurant down the road from me.. they are great (grin)...

Soundguy

schmism said:
need a goat update...

how are the little buggers :D