Building a gun range, suggestions?

/ Building a gun range, suggestions? #11  
I am thinking about creating an inexpensive, safe, gun range.

Just use what my rural neighbor uses - a couple bales of hay and a couple tractor buckets of dirt. "It's OK, I've always done it that way - and you shouldn't have built your house there...":eek:

/ Building a gun range, suggestions?
Just use what my rural neighbor uses - a couple bales of hay and a couple tractor buckets of dirt. "It's OK, I've always done it that way - and you shouldn't have built your house there...":eek:

Where in MI do you live? I want to make sure your neighbor isn't my neighbor.

/ Building a gun range, suggestions? #13  

Somehow I would be asking him "Do you mind if I use the other side?"

If it stops bullets going one way, it should stop them going the other way too.

/ Building a gun range, suggestions? #14  
And then walk out there with a tripod or bipod setup!

soundguy

/ Building a gun range, suggestions? #15  
I hope your neighbors (if any) know you. They may be the ones who call the authorities if they hear a bunch of shooting going on. The safety police soon follow. Even though I am fairly isolated, my neighbors know me and expect the noise, even at night (critters). Remember, you will be cracking off tens and tens of rounds per session. That's one magazine for me :D

If you intend to arm yourself for protection as well, practice with the ammo that is effective for that purpose. If lead is a concern, use a pass-through target so the berm scavanges the lead. Sift out the lead, and reuse - see below.

Learn to cast and reload - it'll save you money now, and when ammo becomes a tax windfall for bureaucrats and/or scarce.

Most of all, have fun with your family!

/ Building a gun range, suggestions? #16  
I keep thinking about reloading but then all the talk of microstamping and how it would effect reloading.. argh....

soundguy

/ Building a gun range, suggestions? #17  
Since you brought this up,my first question,how far away is your closest neighbor. And how far away in the direction you plan on shooting from people[roads,other land that you don't own.etc]

Kinda aways,somebody goes about it this way and they are always to close to people to be shooting.[noise or bullits flying]

/ Building a gun range, suggestions? #18  
I don't care for shooting, but know that I have to from time to time. Steph likes to shoot and I'm happy to feed her ammo when she gets in the urge to do some practicing. The kids will start pretty soon too.

I have a natural hill in my pasture that rises about ten feet. From the back of the house, 100 yards out, it's all flat. Then the ground rises and is thick with trees. This is where we shoot.

I took a piece of half inch plywood and cut it in half. Then in half again for a 2ft by 4ft. At the bottom corners, I cut a line out of each corner and did the same with two 1ft by 2ft pices. They all slide together in a way that the big piece stands up straight and is held there by the small pieces. This is my target. We tape a piece of paper on it, and stick an orange dot in the middle. We shoot this until the dot is gone and then either call it a day, or replace the paper and dot.

If we want to shoot pistols, we just bring the target in closer.

When not in use, it comes apart to three flat pieces of plywood. I put it away and nobody knows it even exists.

Eddie

/ Building a gun range, suggestions? #19  
Good Greif!!! Hide your shooting range?? Common.....This is America! Shooting is an American pastime....has been for years.

Be careful, be safe, shoot straight and be proud of your groups. :D

I reload and shoot a few thousand rounds a year. (But then...I dont have a neighbor at my land ;))

/ Building a gun range, suggestions? #20  
So what kind of 12" x 12" backstop costs $1,000? Got to be taxpayer funded.