Building a Log Splitter with Northern Tool parts

/ Building a Log Splitter with Northern Tool parts #11  
I built mine years ago, and it's a simple design. It's horozontal only, and I built it to push a log into a wedge. Looks-wise, it's like Fattyfats, except I mounted the wedge up front at the tow-tongue end, and the ram pushes forward. Unfortunately, I'm simple too! I don't yet have the pic posting down, so try to follow along! Working in the gas industry, I scavanged some stuff! I started with an arm off a 'pumping jack'. Those are the thing that you see pumping in the oil/gas fields. Basically an "I" or "H" beam. 3-1/4" x 6", about 6' long. I welded a draw tongue of 2" Sq tube to the lower flange for about a foot. I used another pice of 2" sq for the axel and bought stub spindles & wheel hubs from Northern. It's mounted it crosswise (Duh...it's an axel!) about 18" from the back end. For the mechanics mounting, I welded 2 scanvaged pieces of 1/4" diamond plate on each side of the beam. they're both about 13x20, and the front (13") edge lays on the 2" axel tube, and the (20") edge is butt-welded to the bottom 6" beam flange, from the axel, to the rear end. This gave me two 'platforms'. On the left (Drivers side), I mounted a 5hp Briggs with the shaft pointing forward. Coupled it to a two stage hydro-Pump w/ a Lovejoy connecter. On the other plate, I used a 20" piece of 6" steel gas line with plates welded on both ends as a tank. Built some 'feet' for it and bolted it to the plate. I cut 2- 1" holes about 3" apart in the front tank plate, side by side at the 5&7 o'clock positions. I welded two 3/4" pipe couplings to the face of the tank, over the holes to give me the threaded recepticals that I needed. The ram was from a Back hoe outrigger. It pushes just over 24". The beam had the pivot block on it, (Pumping Jack, remember?) so I relocated it to the back as my butt end anchor. The rest was pretty simple. Plumbed it up with a Cross, single lever valve, w/ front and rear 'dedents', (so you don't have to hold the handle all the time) put a filter on the inlet of the resevoir, and a strainer on the outlet-side. Hose on suction side goes from tank to pump. Oops, forgot to mention that I had to cut a hole in the diamond plate, cause the pump inlet barb was facing down, so that hose comes up from the bottom. Outlet from pump (pressure) goes to valve, front work port to front cylinder port, rear to rear and return line from valve body to tank. The pusher plate for the front of the ram I made out of 6" angle. I cut a piece about 6" long. Set it crosswise on the beam with the bottom leg of the "L" tucked under the front of the cylinder. On the overhang on each side I drilled 3- holes, front to back I used spacers the same thickness of the flange, then put a piece of 2" 1/4" bar stock under the spacers, to sandwich the slider on the top I-Beam flange. Kind of tuff to describe. I put two gussets on the back of this Angle (now slider) and put holes in them to line up with the hole in the cylinder rod. I mounted a 6x6 x1/4" plate to the top flange of the beam just back of the front of the cylinder to mount the hydro valve on. Now you've just got to find a 'kid' to sit on the left tire, and operate the valve while you 'hump' wood! I've never had a problem finding one! Gives them the feeling of "Power", and also keeps them away from the crushing area! (Darn, Pictures would be so much easier!)~Scotty

/ Building a Log Splitter with Northern Tool parts #12  
Lance,

I too am in the planning/parts collecting mode for fabbing my own custom built log splitter. My head is still spinning from all the choices available, but I'm getting closer to my ideal machine every day. I've worked with a few different models from commercial units to home built machines, so I'm confident that I have my wish list pretty close to where it needs to be.

I've purchased two different sets of plans along the way, and would be willing to share them with you, if hopefully you have gotten some plans yourself to trade. (Or for that matter if anyone else out there has some plans they would like to trade I'd be happy to do so.)

I just came across this forum, and previously have been posting on Hearth.com's forum, but not getting too many responses to my post about custom splitter fabrication. I see there is a ton of info here and feel like I just hit paydirt - finally!:thumbsup:

I have to check out the thread on log lifts, as this is something my splitter will definitely not be without! I can't afford to risk re-injuring my back (had disk surgery in '97) so that's a gotta-have item.

Anyway, I'm gonna do some pokin' around and will contribute what I can to help the cause. I've posted some good stuff over on hearth.com, and if I don't find that kind of stuff here (stuff like cylinder cycle time and tonnage force charts), I'll post it here too.

Thanks,
ProfessorGT
:newhere:

/ Building a Log Splitter with Northern Tool parts #13  
I too would suggest staying away from a kit. You can build / fabricate most of the stuff heavier and cheaper than you can buy it. I would look at local scrap yards, I bought my h beam s for $25 from a guy that was scrapping them. They were 30lb per ft 7 ft sections. Also TSC has most hydro lines for cheaper along with common hyd fittings.
I would strongly advise on making a pusher sled versus the wedge type pusher on the northern splitters as you can split easier

May also check ebay. They have wedges, cylinders, tanks etc all over.. Good Luck

/ Building a Log Splitter with Northern Tool parts #14  
Re: using square tubing. We built 7 machines using that in an ag implement shop back in the 70s. Found that the 4x4x3/8 was not stiff enough. Cured that by adding a 2x2 heavy wall tube under the 4x4 one. I wore mine out and now have the 27ton TroyBilt.

I am a fan of the wedge on beam but couldn't find one at a reasonable price when I bought the new one. Never, ever plan on using mine verticle and I hate the wedge on ram design - all the running gear is right in the way of the operator.

Harry K

/ Building a Log Splitter with Northern Tool parts #15  
One thing i have not seen mentioned is the ability to store a splitter outside. I have found an elongated galvanized washtub or watering through makes a wonderful hood. Covers the engine,hyd.tank, pump,valve body and retracted cylinder. Keeps water,ice and snow of the important stuff.