building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel

/ building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel #21  
Most BBQ valves have only 2 positions plus off.
Besides a higher pressure regulator U probably would need a needle valve in order to get a wide range of gas flow control.
Being somewhat of a scrounger I have a few BBQ regulators on hand.
Some of the higher quality regulators actually have a screw cap under which is an adjustment for pressure and one of those combined with a needle valve would provide U with a wide range of adjustments.

/ building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel #22  
Why not use an Acetylene Regulator or an LP Reg designed for torching. ? I use a Turbo-Torch variable reg for my ice fishing heater. Works way better than the low-med-high reg it came with. I have it on a 30# tank.

Last edited:
   / building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel #23  
I use an acetylene regulator on my propane forge and it works well.

/ building a propane pipe burner to heat a scald barrel
I thought about a acet regulator, but I dont have a extra one laying around. My 10lb regulator does have a needle valve, but with it just cracked, I can get a low blue flame and when I try to open the needle valve up, even a little bit, it will blow the flame out. A adjustable propane regulator is about $30 and it comes with hose and needle valve. I bought a set of micro drill bits and I can now make different size orifices. Lot of things I can do before buying regulators and factory burners.

BigBarn, speaking of forge, I am wanting to build one of them too, I may hit you up for a little guidance on that project. One project at a time. Different kind of burner on a forge, but people claim they can build the burner for $20.