Building a Shop / Weld Table

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #131  
Nah, they're PERFECT for those STUBBORN watch repairs - the trick is how to keep all the 1/8 to 1/4 to 3/8 to 1/2 to 3/4 to 1" adapters from wobblin' too much :laughing:

I musta missed the comment about the impact; oh well, at least they "goterdun", and I didn't notice any spilt beer so it's a win-win :D ...Steve

Oh well, good for a laugh; more than I can say for my Jet 7x12 bandsaw, dang thing locked up on me while cutting some 3x8 tubing for container supports - acts like (I hope) maybe a set screw in the gearbox loosened up, input shaft turns almost 45 degrees before the blade moves :confused: it's inside one of the containers (NOT cool in nice weather) - maybe it'll cool off enough after dark (got a fan blowing into it) so I can get the oil out of it to see what's what - hoping I get to it BEFORE I need to throw parts at it...

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #132  
I want to say there is at least one other cylinder repair video out there where there is a crew using a crane on a service truck to turn a shop made wrench burnt out of plate with a clevis on the end.

But I think I am getting a little far afield from the OPs welding table. I think you have made your point that a well mounted vise is an asset for later work.

I ended up throwing a chunk of 6x6 upright to just under the vise on my garage bench because doing things like bending rebar would move the whole bench (hickey bender, what's that...?)

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #133  
I want to say there is at least one other cylinder repair video out there where there is a crew using a crane on a service truck to turn a shop made wrench burnt out of plate with a clevis on the end....?)

I've done similar on big machines. I use one of our piggyback forklifts (the type Home Depot etc have on the back of their delivery trucks) and push DOWN on the wrench with the forks.

I'm kinda old school that way. Lifting UP on a big homemade wrench with power conjures up even MORE scary scenarios.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #134  
It rolls, and it rolls easy!! My son came over on Saturday and did a lot of welding. My neighbor helped me flip it over and install casters late that afternoon. I've already gotten it dirty, had to work on a couple PTO shafts on Sunday.

We did a bunch of practice on the 1/2 nuts before we welded them on the receivers. I drilled 9/16 holes in the tube and inserted the bolt from inside the tube, nut on the outside, tightened it while keeping it centered. I covered the exposed threads with nozzle gel. We did 3 very small tacks to start, then we welded. We did not start the weld at the junction of nut and tube, instead started it on the tube about 1/4 - 3/8 away, and walked it up the side of the nut. We welded every other flat. Let it air cool and then used a box end (12pt) to the get bolt out. Since I had it, I ran a thread chaser / cleaner through them. They can out great, the nuts are level, centered on the hole, the bolts thread in easily by hand.

The casters were worth every penny I can roll the table using 2 fingers. I really have to get the floor locks on!

It was a good weekend! It's not done, have a lot of small things to do: Clamp racks, grinder rack, electrical outlets, expanded metal on bottom shelf, mig gun holders, paint, floor locks... The first receiver attachment project - the vise.
View attachment 558162
Looks great! The only thing I would recommend is to round the sharp corners of the caster mounting plates to save yourself some ankle pain.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table
Ford850: I will round those corners.

I did shed a tear, but I cut the vise mount apart :) After taking it apart I ground off the tacks and beveled the edges. My son and I welded it up this last weekend - he more than I! Tonight I will clean it up and give it a coat of primer. Also on tonight's list is to cut the expanded metal shelf to fit.

IMG_7203.JPG IMG_7204.JPG IMG_7205.JPG IMG_7206.JPG IMG_7207.JPG IMG_7215.JPG

Last edited:
   / Building a Shop / Weld Table #136  
"I did shed a tear"

I completely understand; I felt so bad having to say something that it took 3 times reading your post before I finally decided I'd be doing you MUCH LESS of a favor by NOT saying something; as it is, it looks like your welds should have no problem meeting or exceeding the parent metal strength... Steve

And it's done (part 1) Since I have about 11 Pics I will split this between two posts.

Weekend before last I finished up the basic construction of the table. I added clamp holders to both ends and the expanded metal bottom shelf. Also welded a piece of angle iron on each corner near the top as a ground clamp attachment point. And finally: welded the 3/8 x 5 x 5 plates (4) under the bottom rails for the floor locks. Now that I have it together, time to take it apart - took off the casters and floor locks to prep for painting

IMG_7229.JPG IMG_7266.JPG IMG_7271.JPG
IMG_7283.JPG IMG_7284.JPG IMG_7285.JPG

And it's done (part 2)

Spent a few evenings priming and painting, flip the table, rinse and repeat I got really sick of flipping that table!

After the painting I put the casters and floors locks back on. Then added the electric wiring - Done! Of course my shop supervisor was there every step of the way.

I have to thank TBN members: All the good ideas I incorporated into the table came from this forum! Any goofs, they were mine :laughing:

Time to figure out a couple hold downs to fit the receivers for working with pipe. I start another thread for that.

I think I will do one more post: Kind of wrap up what I did, why, and how. May help someone down the road.

IMG_7292.JPG IMG_7318.jpg IMG_7320.JPG
IMG_7325.JPG IMG_7328.JPG

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #139  
Very nice work! I like the last picture, after all that hard work it's time for a nap.

/ Building a Shop / Weld Table #140  
Here's mine. I'm a cheap bastard so I got this for 69 bucks new. Portable and stow-able.

table.jpg