Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,671  
Water, water ,water now Peter. Looks great. Sorry you got your feeling hurt again pacerron.

MarkV

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,672  
The homeowner or hired help is usually left with removing those pesky stickers from the windows and cleaning them inside and out but with all the fascia redo, concrete stain that will now probably have to be painted over, possible siding and sliding door removal and other things on the list near the home, even cleaning the windows ahead of those items is a waste of time.

I've always bought new homes as I like to be the first one to frak it up, plus I have little desire to undo what someone else thought looked nice. Anyway I've never had to remove the window stickers and do the final cleanup as that is the builder's job. I get a kick how some painters are too lazy to fully mask the window panes leaving the final cleanup crew to remove the paint overspray from the glass.

Dang Pete...that yard looks great. Are you the head groundskeeper for a major or minor league baseball team?

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,673  
I'll second or third those yard comments. Really looks good. Can't wait to see the yard pics in about 3 weeks.

mkane09

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,674  
wow that is really a good job on the lawn
if that doesn't produce a nice yard I don't know what will
make sure you water it plenty the first 2-3 weeks

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,675  
I did not post on this thread yet, but have been following it. Wow, the landscaping looks wonderful! My yard has long ways to go until it looks so great! Your mom is really lucky!

Gerda

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
#1,676  
I wouldn't paint or stain the PT wood until it has seasoned for 12 months. If you paint it now, it will almost be certain to peel and be a big headache forever. PT wood has been soaked in liquid and needs some time to dry before painting or staining. We stained the PT wood railing on our deck and porch but our wood had been sitting in our garage for over a year. I would recommend eventually staining the PT rails or they will turn that weathered grey color.
That's what I thought, but the builder said that the PT they use can be painted immediately... I'll let their painters paint it, and if there are any issues this time next year, have them come back and redo it under warranty. I wanted composite railing to be as maintenance free as the decking, but he assured me that the paint they are using will last for 20+ years just like the paint used on the hardy plank... Right...

I see switches and outlets are still not installed ?? When are the electricians coming back???
I'd rather not have them install those until the final mudding/paint has been applied to prevent accidents as Ron pointed out. Electrician said that sometime they have to install them before then, but that they always cover them up with blue tape in that case.

As for as getting the rake fascia fixed and the trim on the decking, they are saving that for the end, or when the crew that does that has an opening in their schedule. One thing that annoys me is that the downspouts at the rear of the house have still not been installed, despite me requesting they be done "before" the final grading and seeding took place. Supposedly they are doing them today, but so far I have not been able to get confirmation it has been done.

Also, the stamped concrete hasn't been sealed yet, mainly becase other workers are using them as work ares for the tile work they are doing inside. So once all that is done, it will all get power washed again, then sealed.

Pete what made you chose southern lawn extreme? I have two lawns in this seed could not be happier. The people at Landscape Supply are very knowledgable. Did you use the one in Roanoke?
That particular variety was recommended by my mom's grounds keeper at her current place. I went to the one in Charlottesville. Yes, they were very knowledgable and gave me advice on the type of fertilizer to use based on what I told them about the lot location and size. We're very fortunately that a steady rain started sometime last night and is likely to continue for the next several days. They did say to try to water it twice a week all summer when there is no natural rain. That will definitely give the new well a workout!

Appreciate all the comments on the yard! Keeping my fingers crossed that we won't have a downpour until it is well established.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,677  
Man pc, that yard looks great! Kind of makes me just want to start all over with mine! I'm on 9 acres, so other than leaving too many trees, not like you did, I am good to go. What kind of trees are those clustered together? Not sweet gums I hope. Since I left way too many at our place, I'm for clearing the rascals out now!

#1,678  
Thanks! The large ones are poplar trees. Of course having been surrounded and fighting the pines for light their entire lives, they are tall and skinny.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #1,679  
Peter, will you be taking more trees out, or are you finished with that?

mkane09

#1,680  
The rest of the pines still need to be dropped. Tree cutters I guess are notoriously unreliable. The guy that was supposed to come this past weekend didn't show up either. Guess I'll to pick up a wedge and attempt to drop them all myself in the right direction. Some of them need to be dropped within a 5 degree window to not land on the new grass or fall into other trees.

A deer fence is going up around the entire yard and into the woods a little on both the up and down hill sides. So all trees inside that perimeter needs to go in the next week or so.