Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
#2,141  
That drain pipe should of been protected by a steel plate so crap like that don't happen. Is this the first house they built?:eek::(
They did use steel plates where the drain pipes go through the studs. I believe the leak is at the bottom of the trap, which dips down to floor level at its lowest point, so when they redid the baseboard along the back wall behind where the utility sink is going to be, they shot into the trap. At least that's my theory at this point. Plumber is coming back tomorrow (yes, the same one that could not figure out that the transportation bolts had to be removed....).

We are definitely holding out on making the final payment until there at least is a working clothes washer in the house. As it is right now, water seeps out on the floor in the mud room, and runs down into the basement through several of the holes below the wall where water and electrical lines come through. That wall also has insulation in it, which is now soaked at the bottom.

Stu, the company from Denmark is my aunt and her husband.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,142  
Peter,
Back when Stu spotted the appliance boxes in your shop that you purchased on Black Friday you posted the models.
At that time there was considerable discussion about having room for the doors to open as you were contemplating making the wall behind deeper so the frig
would be even with the counter edge.
The way you finally installed it still doesn't leave room for the door to open because of the door hitting the wall.

If you cut the closet corner at a 45 be sure to start the cut back far enough toward the frig hinge, ( probably behind the hinge ) so the door will open well beyond 90 degrees.
Your doors have deep shelves/compartments that stick out when the door is only open 90 degrees and will block pulling out the drawers.
Here is a picture of your frig showing how far the doors need to open beyond 90 degrees from your posted url at sears.
Don't just tell the contractor to cut the wall at 45 until he really understands the clearance required as that may not be enough.
Ron

Last edited:
   / Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,143  
Peter,
Since the insulation in the mudroom wall is soaked and the PB needs to come off, now would be a good time to take it off over to the outside corner. I know from your pics that there is a lot of wiring and plumbing in that wall, but there might be room to run the dryer vent to the right and outside. The framing drawing shows that the way they were supposed to frame the corner, there would be an open pocket between 2 outside wall studs there. Another option is to go out the right side of the dryer if you can get a kit and through the outside wall.
That long run you have now almost to the back of the house is just trouble brewing and it will knock the efficiency of your dryer right down the toilet.
Modern dryers run based on moisture sensors rather than fixed time. That makes them more power efficient and is easier on the fabric of the clothes.
Ron

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,144  
Peter, where are the pictures of MOM? The house looks cozy and lived in now. Even if everything went perfectly, it's still a major hassle to build a house and move in. Congrats on having the patience and drive to ramrod this project to a successful end.

mkane09

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,145  
I know that Stanley had some issues with the deck railing, but it looks fine to me.

Stanley, what say ye, sir?
-Stu

Stu, I'm sorry but even though the railing looks good with the paint I still feel there is a major safety issue with the railing only secured by nails that were toe-nailed to the posts. Toe-nailing has very little strength in my opinion. I feel there should be some type of support/steel angle/whatever on the outside of the railing to prevent the railing from being pushed over if you were to lean on it. As I've said in previous postings I've read where overtime people have gone over the side after the nails and wood have loosened up. Maybe I'm being too critical here or even wrong about how the railing is secured but I just don't want to see anything happen to Peter's mom or her friends should they lean on the railing. Eddie Walker, Peter, your thoughts? Stanley

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,146  
Stu, I'm sorry but even though the railing looks good with the paint I still feel there is a major safety issue with the railing only secured by nails that were toe-nailed to the posts. Toe-nailing has very little strength in my opinion. I feel there should be some type of support/steel angle/whatever on the outside of the railing to prevent the railing from being pushed over if you were to lean on it. As I've said in previous postings I've read where overtime people have gone over the side after the nails and wood have loosened up. Maybe I'm being too critical here or even wrong about how the railing is secured but I just don't want to see anything happen to Peter's mom or her friends should they lean on the railing. Eddie Walker, Peter, your thoughts? Stanley

I understand your comments and concerns but if the rail starts to loosen up overtime then the owner needs to address it before someone gets injured. I'm not saying this railing is great or terrible. Just saying the homeowner needs to address things before things fail and this railing isn't going to fail out of the blue. One post will loosen eventually and it will take a lot of time to completely fail or a lot of abuse to speed it up.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,147  
That drain pipe should of been protected by a steel plate so crap like that don't happen. Is this the first house they built?:eek::(

Was thinking the same thing. And an inspector should have checked for that.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,148  
Was thinking the same thing. And an inspector should have checked for that.

you are putting WAY to much faith in the local municipal inspector.

It would take them several hours per dwelling to do a proper inspection, and you're lucky if they are on site for 15-30 min.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,149  
you are putting WAY to much faith in the local municipal inspector.

Perhaps you are mostly right. However, in my case, the City of Fairfax inspectors are top notch. They are actually looking for something/somebody to bust. When I had my gas fireplace insert installed, I applied for the permit and installed the gas line myself. When the fine gentlemen was here, he inquired as to the permit for actually installing the fireplace. I told him that the company who was installing it said they would apply for that. Well, they came for the installation and low and behold he showed up. He was arbitrarily close to shutting them down but let them proceed after a call was placed by one of the technicians to the home office to get the permit asap.

However, another story I have is when we were doing a remodel job on my Mom's house in southwest VA. The inspector showed up to inspect the new steam boiler and water heater. I had to actually explain to the guy how the boiler worked because he had never seen one nor knew how it worked. He was trying to figure out where the circulator pump was.
-Stu

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #2,150  
Peter:

The Home Theater setup looks very nice. Did you run the wires for everything ahead of time? Would be a PITA to do everything from the attic.
-Stu